Gp & Caramelization

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoilerBoy

Reaction score
Brewed a 100% Golden Promise ale today and thought I would give caramelization a go.

I have done a straight 100% GP batch before and was quite underwhelmed with the result, it was so very very pale (barely straw coloured) insipid and really lacking in flavour.

So today I took 10L of the first runnings and split it evenly into 2 pots and boiled it for 2 hours on the kitchen stove until it became a thick syrupy rich copper colour.
I then added water to take it back to 10L, then did the standard 90 minute boil with the rest of the collected wort.

Having just chilled it, the wort is quite a rich golden honey colour and seems at least to have a far greater flavour present, though its difficult to describe it obviously this early.

I did take a picture of a hydrometer sample and will try to get it on here to give some indication of the colour.

Cheers
BB

Ditto.

100% GP gave the following colour.

AHB_Beer_001.jpg

I ended up boiling down 4L of first runnigs to 2L but didn't make too much difference in a follow up beer. I think if you are trying to emulate something like TTL, then go for a 5 - 10% Bairds medium crystal addition instead.

Cheers.

I ended up boiling down 4L of first runnigs to 2L but didn't make too much difference in a follow up beer. I think if you are trying to emulate something like TTL, then go for a 5 - 10% Bairds medium crystal addition instead.

Cheers.
[/quote]

Not so much emulating TTL though it was in my mind, I thought that this malt being so bland and disappointing it would be the perfect candidate to try the merrits of caramelization to see if it really adds anything.

BB

Latest posts

Back