Got The Sack From Work By Visiting Aussie Home Brewer Forum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many bong's have you had???

Sorry to hear about the dismisal mate, but if you want my advise.................Tell em' to go and get fuc$#&!!!!!!!!!!

Jay

straws and trees forests and camels

AHB is a wonderful place for legal advice.

Well we are not (well not all of us) Lawyers but we do share one thing in common and that is a strong sense of what is wrong and what is right, and how things should be if it weren't for the pricks. Sums up good beer making I guess.

Even those who use keggles and import hops (circumventing the LHBS)?

Not sure why you're elevating HBers above the rest of society in any regard other than beer appreciation. More likely we're an accurate reflection of the rest of society and while we wish few deliberate ill-will the fact is nine out of ten of us probably wouldn't give a second thought to a stranger we saw in the street just like the rest of the community. I think you're confusing homebrewers with Zorro.

Without touching on the poignant and relevant point that Bum has raised (virtue ethics...or at least deontology...I'm like a pig in sh*t there), I offer my commiserations to the OP...I got "warned" at work about my internet use a few years ago, and AHB was one of the sites mentioned. Not everyone has the opportunities in life that I did/do so I told them to get f*cked and 3 yeasrs later I quit anyway haha. I hope everything works out for you champ, and that your next place of work is either more satisfying for you personally or is less concerned with your methodology than your outcomes. :icon_cheers:

"other employees on a forum"..wonder if facebook/myspace is allowed or even E*bay..the boss needs to get a life

My LHBS doesn't stock hops but has a lot of water purification additives.

Go back and see the boss:

"I wasn't on the forum, I swear... and if you don't believe that, the blokes on the forum reckon I shouldn't have been fired."

Wasn't going to bite, but!!

Circumventing LHBS (the 3 closest don't sell hops/ or not as pellets or flowers) is illegal/wrong??

Wasn't going to bite, but!!

Circumventing LHBS (the 3 closest don't sell hops/ or not as pellets or flowers) is illegal/wrong??
Referencing a common argument made here rather than actually passing judgement.

you should have smashed the end off the long neck you were drinking and F@#%ing stabbed the "other employee" who was watching you..

friking weirdo perv, probably was looking at your arse as well.

best you send them a few bottle bombs in the post

you should have smashed the end off the long neck you were drinking and F@#%ing stabbed the "other employee" who was watching you..

friking weirdo perv, probably was looking at your arse as well.

best you send them a few bottle bombs in the post

Next it will be all cats and airlocks...

Hello friends,

Thank you for your comments and support.

It was my first week at this new job and perhaps I neglected to fully understand the company's IT policy and working culture. In all honesty I was more surprised than anything to find out they had a problem with visiting forums.

Most of the major social media website - Facebook, Youtube are blocked. The policies do go into detail about the kind of content that are permissible.

In hindsight I've realised Im probably better off :)

And yes my answer to the finings question was answered LOL!

John.

I've seen this happen before at my work - however in all the times they have used this policy to dismiss someone, the employee has been at fault for several other reasons, e.g. Clashing with staff, bad performance, bad attitude etc etc. They just used the IT policy as it is black and white and the have hard evidence...

AHB is blocked at my work, along with theworldgame, a-league.com.au, foxsports and facebook - all barring the latter thanks to me - didn't get fired for it basically because I do my job well enough, so instead of firing me, they just block the websites.

If you are performing well at your work, then you may have grounds for unfair dismissal - but would you really want your job back at a work place that fires staff for logging onto a forum?

Cheers
Phil

A great point you've raised.

Not really interested in taking the matter further, would really just be a waste of time.

Thanks for the feedback.

John.

Sorry to hear what happened. All I can say is that Id be challenging what happened. Look at the IT policy did it stipulate the potential for instant dismissal from visiting a Brewing related site? If not did you have a warning? Just think how much brewing bling a wrongful dismissal claim would buy!!

Cheers BDB

I don't think there was direct mention of dismissal for visiting forums. I think it was more because it was my first week so perhaps that was grounds enough for them to make a decision.

John.

sorry to hear that but the i was a boss i wouldnt be happy with my employees looking at other web sites and not doing work for which you are being paid for but then again whats your employers policy and most place u need 3 writtern warnings before getting the sack seem like time to get the union involved and take it to fair work oz for unfair dismall you may get 6 months pay out of em

I know what you mean.

I think the view was first week = shouldnt be doing that. Easy to fix to a potentially costly problem. I don't think taking the case further is of any value to me. Going through the process - I'd rather put it behind and move on.

John.

AHB is a wonderful place for legal advice.

LOL! Indeed.

Without touching on the poignant and relevant point that Bum has raised (virtue ethics...or at least deontology...I'm like a pig in sh*t there), I offer my commiserations to the OP...I got "warned" at work about my internet use a few years ago, and AHB was one of the sites mentioned. Not everyone has the opportunities in life that I did/do so I told them to get f*cked and 3 yeasrs later I quit anyway haha. I hope everything works out for you champ, and that your next place of work is either more satisfying for you personally or is less concerned with your methodology than your outcomes. :icon_cheers:

A lovely comment! Thank you and very well articulated.

John.

Not wanting to sound rude or anything here, but are you aware you can include several quotes in the one post? Hit the '+quote' button in each post you want to quote, the text will appear in the box when you click 'reply'

Does that work across multiple pages? Not having a go - serious question, would be handy to know.

Hit the '+quote' button in each post you want to quote, the text will appear in the box when you click 'reply'
It might not be brew related but I just learnt something today :)

As for visiting AHB and other forums at work, I use my iPad, so if someone who thinks they are important comes along I can easily put it away out of sight.
Most of the bosses don't care anyway so it's no real problem.

A bit harsh getting the sack, a chat to discuss the companies policy would have been a better place to start BUT from an employers perspective( yes I do employ staff ) is there anything wrong with a company expecting 60 minutes work for an hours pay? :huh:

Not wanting to sound rude or anything here, but are you aware you can include several quotes in the one post? Hit the '+quote' button in each post you want to quote, the text will appear in the box when you click 'reply'

Does that work across multiple pages? Not having a go - serious question, would be handy to know.

I believe so, give it a go.
seems to work well,thanks for the info :super:

I would have been fired a long time ago. Im suprised this forum ism't block by my works internet filter.

Latest posts

Back