Got Some Pink Sterilizing Solution In My Fresh Wort!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinder

Reaction score
G'day brewers
Just put down a dunkelweizen AG yesterday and when I went to chuck my wort chiller in I accendently poured about 100mls of my pink sterilizing solution (premixed with H2O) into the fresh wort.
What possible problems may this cause?
It tastes fine and it's fermenting nicely now but I am still a bit concerned.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Cheers

At a wild assed guess, I'd say you'll be ok...
Smell the fermenter - is there a chlorine presence? The pink steriliser may be chlorine based and should leach out of solution thanks to the yeast that survives, generating CO2 to help free the chlorine out of the wort.
That said, the first 16 or so hours largely determine the extent by which solventy fusels are generated by the yeast so there is a risk of off flavours and aromas but if you have a decent ferment happening, you should be ok.
What yeast are you using?
Cheers,
TL

Pink Stain (PSR) is Chlorinated Trisodium Phosphate.
100ml in 20 litres shouldn't be too bad.
How concentrated was the solution ? There are two concentrations available 1 tsp/litre and 1tsp/ 5 litres.

Doc

At a wild assed guess, I'd say you'll be ok...
Smell the fermenter - is there a chlorine presence? The pink steriliser may be chlorine based and should leach out of solution thanks to the yeast that survives, generating CO2 to help free the chlorine out of the wort.
That said, the first 16 or so hours largely determine the extent by which solventy fusels are generated by the yeast so there is a risk of off flavours and aromas but if you have a decent ferment happening, you should be ok.
What yeast are you using?
Cheers,
TL

I'm using a WL300 yeast

Back