Gose & Salt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few photos and reflections - I lagered the Gose for two week and then put the Gose into bottles and primed to 3.2 ppm CO2. It came out fairly clear. But it does have a hefe cloudiness.

I have had three people taste/review it. One is a pro brewer and distiller, he said that it was balanced between acid and salt with no faults. The other two are not beer drinkers - they said that they got a citrus notes not particularly any pronounced acid, but quizzed if their was anything else, they could not pick anything else out. Interestingly the two non beer drinkers hated the Gose, I think its so far out of their comfort zone, they could not finish a single glass. Which is a shame for them.

At 40grams of salt for 40 litres people seem unable to put their fingers on the salt.

My personal notes is the nose is a pronounced citrus. The palate is dry and crisp with a touch of acid is that it could be more sour, the salt cannot be sensed even knowing it is present. I would go as far to say it is sweet, even being bone dry in the finish. I think that is the salt bringing out the sweetness without any quantifiable saltiness.

I do have a complaint, its this strange taste that I get from lacto sour beers that I have made. But I do not know what words to use to describe it. I think its a kind of stale taste, with a touch of parchment paper. My first instinct is to say its oxidised but no one else seems to able to pick up this defect. It is only noticeable at the very very trailing ends of the tasting. Once the last drop passed then this taste pops up its faint touch and then vanishes.

View media item 10614Freshly poured with a good head.

View media item 10615Moderate clarity if I had used finnings then it could have been better

View media item 10616The head drops down and leaves a bit of lace after 2 minutes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back