Goop For Starters.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damoncouper

Reaction score
Hi All,
I was wondering what you AG people use cans of goop for? Constructive things I mean. I was wondering if it could be a suitable substitute for dry malt extract in creating starters. If you did not add sugar would you be able to get about 10 1 litre starters out of a can? You could freeze them in 10 100mL (or whatever size is required) jars and boil it up for starter preparation. Does any one use this? It is more cost effective than malt extract?
Cheers.

As an "AG person", the closest I get these days to a can of "goop" is when I walk down that aisle in the supermarket.

Having said that, I was given a can by a well-meaning business associate who sampled my homebrew and thought I could make use of it. I've been wondering what to do with it. Your idea sounds good.

As for starters, I use dry light malt extract which I can get for around $8 a kilo prepacked. The cost would be similar to buying the cheapest can, but it could be less of a hassle.

WJ

Edit: I get 10 starters out of the kilo of DLME.

I've been either using dry malt or actual wort from a brew session but have been contemplating doing this very thing.

I'm thinking I might simply get a can of goo, add the usual water requirement for a 23ltr brew but instead of pitching yeast and fermenting it I'd run of 11 x 2ltr starter bottles, freeze them and use when required.

...only thing though is which goo do I choose?

I make all my starters out of Farmland Draught "goo" seems to work just fine.

Warren -

I've done a dash to the local 8 till 8 (archaic trading hours over here...) for the odd can of coopers lager to make starters with when I find myself out of DME.

I'd use them more often if it wasn't so messy...

Asher

Latest posts

Back