Goodbye Bronwyn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welly2 said:
I'm from Leeds. There were never, and has never been, any demands by Muslims in Leeds that Sharia law is to replace British common law. I can't speak for Birmingham, Derby, Leicester or Luton or London (Waltham Forest and Tower Hamlets) but certainly in all those cities listed in the north, there has never, ever been any demand for Sharia law to replace British common law in any serious context, any more than there have been demands by British drinkers for the price of beer to be reduced. A single nutcase or small group of nutcases who have been quoted demanding one thing or another does not equal "British muslims".

And you know those posters declaring "You are entering a Sharia controlled zone: Islamic rules enforced"? They're put up by a bunch of idiots who believe that their posters hold any weight or value. They hold as much weight or value as a poster I could post up on my street here in Darwin stating "You are entering a Pommy controlled zone: Pommy rules enforced" - of which those Pommy rules would include:

1. Jars of Marmite are to replace all jars of Vegemite
  2. Cheese is no longer to be allowed in meat pies
  3. Ale is to be served at a cellar temperature of between 11 and 13 degrees C
  4. Debut is from this point onwards to be pronounced "Day-byou" not "Day-boo".
5. Showers shall only be taken at a rate of once per week.
6. Everything is shit and should be complained about.

English stereotypes are fun.

Did you really just try and compare modern Australian society with 1930s Germany?

It's not about burying heads in the sand, it's about not jumping at shadows or creating paranoia, mistrust and division.

Exactly the same shit with a different smell as reds under the bed, south east Asian immigration, etc. Threatens our way of life indeed. What a bucket of nonsense.

Once again your sources are dreadful and reasoning suspect. Some idiot made unreasonable demands and got told to piss off. Some idiot put up a stupid sign. Let's all jump up and down in a fluster.
You reckon the Greens have got a screw loose?

^ +1
A 2 sec Google search reveals that quoted text is only posted up on a few far right whack-job sites. It apparently started a few years ago as a propaganda/hoax email that was spammed/chained around.

Excellent source material. *

You can't seriously be believing this propaganda fiction, let alone quoting in a debate that's attempting to be rational?
Surely the background to it would actually cause you to stop and wonder if you really do subscribe to the same mindset as far right whack jobs?

*not really

Oh by the way. How do the "Sharia invasion crew" explain Turkey? Something like 80% Muslim population. No sharia law.
And have you been there? Pretty much the same as here - most people don't care about the religious aspect of their culture. Only a smallish minority do the mosque/prayer thing, fairly similar to the Happy-Clappers here.

One Red Blood.

Maybe we could start quoting from that excellent reference text 'the protocols of the elders of zion' just to bring some academic level critical thinking to the whole debate?

Each to their own.
I have my views on what I see as the down side of some aspects of multiculturism (which in my view is a bit like communisim, sounds great in theory but falls down in so many areas in practice) which is how I got onto the subject of Muslims and their assimilation into our culture and comments on this forum aren't going to change them.

On a more light hearted note "Who saw South Africa loosing to Japan in the world cup pool game"

Will Eddy Jones now become front runner for the Emperors poisition

Wobbly

You're welcome to your views and your opinion. It would just carry more weight if it was based on something other than conspiracy nut bunkum.

I think as yet Wobbly's theories have yet to be proven, there has never been the multiculturalism in the past as there is today, so it is still to early to say what will happen, I am of the opinion that the Westminster system is a hard nut to crack and the only way anything could happen is by force, and in this present day I could never see that happening.

It wasn't a smart move in England to open the doors to Sharia law by allowing Muslim wills, just the way they are worded shows what regard they have for their women.

I remember the West Indians coming into England in the early 50's, a God send to the Irish as they were the target of racial abuse before their arrival, then the West Indians had a God send when the Indians and Pakistanis started to come in after they got kicked out of Uganda, I also remember Indians having funeral pyres, and burning bodies on the banks of the Thames. They were serious issues then but not half as serious as the problems they have there now

technobabble66 said:
Oh by the way. How do the "Sharia invasion crew" explain Turkey? Something like 80% Muslim population. No sharia law.
And have you been there? Pretty much the same as here - most people don't care about the religious aspect of their culture. Only a smallish minority do the mosque/prayer thing, fairly similar to the Happy-Clappers here.

One Red Blood.
Exactly. If anyone is interested, have a read of this and scroll down to 'legal rights' to see the direction of change. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_rights_in_Turkey

Re: Islamic wills in the UK. "Stephen Newman, a partner at the Huddersfield law firm Baxter Caulfield who backed the guidance when it was introduced, said at the time: “Provided the will is signed in accordance with the requirements of [the Wills Act] there is nothing in English law to prevent a person domiciled in England from choosing to dispose of his or her assets in accordance with sharia succession rules. The Law Society’s guidance is intended to help non-Muslim legal practitioners understand those rules. It does not … change the law.”

Read more at http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/nov/24/law-society-withdraws-guidance-sharia-wills

welly2 said:
Re: Islamic wills in the UK. "Stephen Newman, a partner at the Huddersfield law firm Baxter Caulfield who backed the guidance when it was introduced, said at the time: “Provided the will is signed in accordance with the requirements of [the Wills Act] there is nothing in English law to prevent a person domiciled in England from choosing to dispose of his or her assets in accordance with sharia succession rules. The Law Society’s guidance is intended to help non-Muslim legal practitioners understand those rules. It does not … change the law.”

Read more at http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/nov/24/law-society-withdraws-guidance-sharia-wills
Nobody has said the law was changed, the law society drew up the guidelines for a will to be conformant with Sharia law, then promptly scrapped it

It's times like this that I am glad I can refer to 'the book'....

HHguide.jpg

malt & barley blues said:
Nobody has said the law was changed
Really? Hell of a lot of discussion about something that hasn't happened then.
I'm pretty sure changes in law were, shall we say : very strongly implied by some posters.

So to summarise - sharia law does not exist in either Australia nor Britain and we should probably worry about other things.
I'm off down our predominantly muslim street to grab a kebab which I'll enjoy with beer.

Back