Goodbye Bronwyn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
You're right but I'm pretty over the whole anti -Islam propaganda and I'm surprised at how entrenched it is within people.
I'm also over typing lengthy articulate responses with one finger on a smart phone.

No-one else's fault I know.

Is a separate changeroom (possibly funded and organised by the people who wanted it) really an indication of the end of things?
My response was not a lot worse than that stupid leaflet that tries to suggest we're all going to be marrying children in a forced theocracy due to the muslim menace.
All good...I get the whole 1 finger/smart phone thing. The fact that there is a great deal of extreme anti-m hysteria does not rule out the fact that there is a great deal of measured critique of what is happening, which is treated with the same disdain as the stuff spouted by the jackie Howe, ugg boot and winnie blue brigade. I have met a representative of the Q Society...very measured, based on evidence and facts which are there. Trouble is, if you even seek to speak the truth of what is happening you can be hauled up on anti discrimination grounds.

Anyway..time for a beer.

I lived next door to an Islamic family until recently and have frequented the local islamic butcher and fruit market for years.

You know what? People, flesh and blood, work hard, look after their families. Never heard the guy next door even yell at his wife, let alone raise a hand to her or the kids. Most weekends there are delicious smells coming from their smokehouse.
Good times.

goomboogo said:
If train fares increase, does the service operator make compensatory concessions to the users of the train service?
Why should they, if costs go up then they are passed on, it is business practice no matter how big or small profit margins have to be maintained, in saying that I don't know how many hours are paid out at OT rates it may be cheaper to employ more people, get the concessions they want and run the system more efficiently, without having to increase costs.

I have know a number of muslims in my time, even had a muslim doctor as the family GP as a kid

Have yet to meet a violent one yet. All have been very respectful. Hell, even some of them would have lunch with us at the pub and dint care that we drank beer and ate roast pork for lunch

madpierre06 said:
All good...I get the whole 1 finger/smart phone thing. The fact that there is a great deal of extreme anti-m hysteria does not rule out the fact that there is a great deal of measured critique of what is happening, which is treated with the same disdain as the stuff spouted by the jackie Howe, ugg boot and winnie blue brigade. I have met a representative of the Q Society...very measured, based on evidence and facts which are there. Trouble is, if you even seek to speak the truth of what is happening you can be hauled up on anti discrimination grounds.

Anyway..time for a beer.
Islam as a religion should be subject to the same critique afforded to any other religion. No more, no less.
The attempt to paint them all with the same mediaeval fundamenalist brush is akin to me associating you with the KKK or any of the inquisitions.

manticle said:
Islam as a religion should be subject to the same critique afforded to any other religion. No more, no less.
The attempt to paint them all with the same mediaeval fundamenalist brush is akin to me associating you with the KKK or any of the inquisitions.
It is an ideology of which religion is just one part. They seek to mould those peoples and societies around them, jusy ask any non-muslims in Syria and Iraq right now....who can keep their lives and the right to exist by paying extortion, agreeing to the suppression of how they practice their faith, and so on. If theu refuse to pay, they die. No questions asked. Is that not just as mediaeval/fundamentalist? And what if we look at those not as muslim extremists, just muslims who are practicing what they are proscribed to do? Those who don't may not be moderates, rather one day/prayer session a week muslims?

Any one remember the Christian crusades.....Made Islam look like kindergarten play time

malt & barley blues said:
Why should they, if costs go up then they are passed on, it is business practice no matter how big or small profit margins have to be maintained, in saying that I don't know how many hours are paid out at OT rates it may be cheaper to employ more people, get the concessions they want and run the system more efficiently, without having to increase costs.
I would offer to lend you a shovel but it would appear you've already started digging.

madpierre06 said:
It is an ideology of which religion is just one part. They seek to mould those peoples and societies around them, jusy ask any non-muslims in Syria and Iraq right now....who can keep their lives and the right to exist by paying extortion, agreeing to the suppression of how they practice their faith, and so on. If theu refuse to pay, they die. No questions asked. Is that not just as mediaeval/fundamentalist? And what if we look at those not as muslim extremists, just muslims who are practicing what they are proscribed to do? Those who don't may not be moderates, rather one day/prayer session a week muslims?
We're talking about Australia though, not Syria and Iraq. I've lived in areas highly populated by Australian Muslims for a good number of years and they're driven by most of the same things I am.
Believe me, if I really believed there was any likelihood of theocracy of any kind within this nation, I'd be up in arms but I just don't see it. The culture I'm looking at has more similarities than differences. Kids play, families cook, talk, laugh, men and women work hard, people get on with their lives. The dangers of radicalisation stem just as much from divisive tactics like those of Q Society as anywhere else.

As for moulding societies around them - well Western Imperialism has done a great job of that over the centuries.

The Spanish Empire's

The British Empires

The French Empires

The Roman Empires

The Viking Empires

The Mongol Empires

The Portuguese Empires

Sure there are and I know a number of moderate Muslims willing/wanting to co exist in a peaceful manner living by the laws and customs of their adopted country

Call me xenophobic if you like but the experience in other places of the world indicate that there are a significant number of radicals in their mist and they will work towards and demand the adoption of for example "Sharia Law" which has already actively been pursued by the Islamic Council of NSW but (than God) rigorously rejected by the likes of Peter Costello and Nichola Roxon when both in a position influence government policy on the basis of "One law for all"

If you don't think you should be concerned this is what has occurred in the UK and will be coming to a town near you in the future and when it does come those assimilated moderates will be made to comply under the fear of death

"In 2011, Britain's Muslims began demanding that Sharia replace British common law and become the only law in towns with large Muslim populations, including Birmingham, Bradford, Derby, Dewsbury, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Luton, Manchester, Sheffield, Waltham Forest and Tower Hamlets, an East London Muslim enclave whose streets are already plastered with posters declaring, "You are entering a Sharia controlled zone: Islamic rules enforced" (below) and where Muslim imams now issue death threats to women who refuse to wear the Muslim veil.
In 2011, Britain's Muslims began demanding that Sharia replace British common law and become the only law in towns with large Muslim populations, including Birmingham, Bradford, Derby, Dewsbury, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Luton, Manchester, Sheffield, Waltham Forest and Tower Hamlets, an East London Muslim enclave whose streets are already plastered with posters declaring, "You are entering a Sharia controlled zone: Islamic rules enforced" and where Muslim imams now issue death threats to women who refuse to wear the Muslim veil."

Wobbly

Ok. Your xenophobic

Sharia law can never be implemented out here. Our system of law and political system does not allow for it

Why is pushing Sharia Law any different to pushing Christian Law ?

wobbly said:
Sure there are and I know a number of moderate Muslims willing/wanting to co exist in a peaceful manner living by the laws and customs of their adopted country

Call me xenophobic if you like but the experience in other places of the world indicate that there are a significant number of radicals in their mist and they will work towards and demand the adoption of for example "Sharia Law" which has already actively been pursued by the Islamic Council of NSW but (than God) rigorously rejected by the likes of Peter Costello and Nichola Roxon when both in a position influence government policy on the basis of "One law for all"

If you don't think you should be concerned this is what has occurred in the UK and will be coming to a town near you in the future and when it does come those assimilated moderates will be made to comply under the fear of death

"In 2011, Britain's Muslims began demanding that Sharia replace British common law and become the only law in towns with large Muslim populations, including Birmingham, Bradford, Derby, Dewsbury, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Luton, Manchester, Sheffield, Waltham Forest and Tower Hamlets, an East London Muslim enclave whose streets are already plastered with posters declaring, "You are entering a Sharia controlled zone: Islamic rules enforced" (below) and where Muslim imams now issue death threats to women who refuse to wear the Muslim veil.
In 2011, Britain's Muslims began demanding that Sharia replace British common law and become the only law in towns with large Muslim populations, including Birmingham, Bradford, Derby, Dewsbury, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Luton, Manchester, Sheffield, Waltham Forest and Tower Hamlets, an East London Muslim enclave whose streets are already plastered with posters declaring, "You are entering a Sharia controlled zone: Islamic rules enforced" and where Muslim imams now issue death threats to women who refuse to wear the Muslim veil."

Wobbly
Has it happened....NO

There are Christians demanding the same with respect to marriage rights etc...

Its all a bit bullshit really

Best come and join the Skeptics society Wobbly

Ducatiboy stu said:
Sharia law can never be implemented out here. Our system of law and political system does not allow for it

Has it happened....NO
What cabbage plant are you hiding under!!

Whilst it hasn't happened there is no mechanisms to stop it if/when the numbers become large/loud enough

Our system of law and government (political system) are based on the "English Westminster System" and it happened there.

Wobbly

wobbly said:
What cabbage plant are you hiding under!!

Whilst it hasn't happened there is no mechanisms to stop it if/when the numbers become large/loud enough

Our system of law and government (political system) are based on the "English Westminster System" and it happened there.

Wobbly
What happened there? Birmingham is under Sharia now?

Wobbly is correct there, it has been adopted into the British Law, but it doesn't include stoning for an adulteress or chopping off the hand of a thief and some of the other barbaric punishments.

Back