Good Pubs In Honkers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm heading to Hong Kong on Monday for a few nights and need some good beer bars to spend my non-work time. A quick search of the web has unveiled the following pubs-

* Hong Kong Brew House (LG/F, LKF Tower, No. 33 Wyndham Street, Central).
* The Globe (39 Hollywood Rd, Central)

Has anyone been to these places? Are there any others I should be visiting?

Cheers,

Rukh.

Pity your not there longer I'll be flying into Hong Kong on the 27th

Franko

Hi Rukh

Check out a chain of pubs/restraunts under th banner of El Grande. The East End Brewery, Inside Out and Honk Kong Brew House all have a good beer list. The Hong Kong Brew House is in Lan Kwai Fong, where you will get loads of ex-pats and other westerners and is not bad latter in the night. Inside Out gets full with the after work crowd and is frquented by more locals.

My personal recomendation is to not expect too much from the local brewed micro-beer. I've tried the Aldrich Bay Pale Ale and the Too Soo Brew, but soon moved on to the bottled US beers from places like Anderson Valley and Mendicino Brewery. The Hong Kong Brew House also had a reasonable selection of different Bier de Garde and Saisons. They let me buy some as take-aways.

In the supermarkets you find the usual mass produced beer, but in the ParknShop, downstairs in the shopping complex at Times Square, Causeway Bay, they tend to have a small but reasonadle selection, including beers from Sierra Nevada.

There are enough good beers in Hong Kong to keep you happy, just have to look for them. Good food on the other hand is everywhere and doesn't have to be expensive.

Cheers
MAH

i second Lan Kwai Fong :beer:
we had a local bloke ring each bar ahead of us and organise a waitress with a tray of shots at every bar we went to. Some awesome bands out there too. I saw a HK band do a perfect rendition of Even Flow. It was perfect, although that was about bar #8 :)

The cool hip bars that the locals go to are all up in the skyscrapers.

Franko - Its a shame that we miss each other by a week as it would be great to have a fellow AHB member to help prop up the bar in HK.

MAH - Thanks for the hot tips. I love the menu which features "Boring Beers" (such as VB, Bud etc - not that there's anything wrong with that), "Premium Boring Beers" (such as Asahi, Boags, Guinness) and "Exciting Micro-imports" to cover the more flavourful beers.

I am most interested in trying a selection of USA beers as I recently got back from UK/Belgium, however I will get stuck into any Bier de Garde or saison that I see.

including beers from Sierra Nevada.

woohoo heading to Hong Kong at Chrissy and this stuff has been impossible to find in Australia. I'll be heading straight for that shop on arrival I think.

.. oops. this thread is great!

if theres any more you can think of, let me know..am passing this info on to a mate of mine whose living in honkers :)

troy - you can get sierra nevada from the international beer shop here in perth - they do mail orders.

troy - you can get sierra nevada from the international beer shop here in perth - they do mail orders.

When was the last time you went in and checked? I checked in early April and they had none available and had no ETA on any new batches coming in.

Edit:
And this from their site confirms it is still the case:

Availability
PLEASE NOTE: This product is not currently available locally,
and has been included here for informational purposes only.

well then, bugger.

bring some back for me from honkers then, yeah? hahahaha

Unfortunately my 1 y.o. has come down with pneumonia so I had to postpone my trip to HK. Fortunately the little fella appears to be on the mend.

Facter - Can you hold off a couple of months for the SNPA delivery? ;-)

Re: QANTAS
Whilst I was going to be flying over on economy, the last minute booking meant that I was due to return in business class. Their business class website has a pretty comprehensive wine list, but no mention of beers. A bit more searching uncovered a sample business class menu which included such delights as - Hahn Lite, New, Tsing Tao and VB! Needless to say I put in a letter of complaint.

Tsing Tao

The only drinkable one out of that whole lot. Very poor form from Qantas. I would have thought the toffee nose set would have been served much better beers. Obviously they assume most business class travelers are wine quaffer's or gin swigger's.

from the front of the plane to the back, i'd say it goes:

ephedrine
champagne
johnny walker
VB

I'll finally be testing out the HK Brew House on Thursday so thanks again for the suggestions. I think that there is a German bar nearby so I'll be checking it out too.

Are there any good beers available in Macau? I'll be there Mon/Tues/Wed nights.

I just got back from Macau/HK yesterday so here is a quick report of the trip-

Macau - There is nothing exciting to report beer wise, however I was stuck in the conference for three nights so couldn't go searching for anything exciting. I got slaughtered every night on standard international mega beers with my work mates, although I did try a local beer called "Macau Lager".

Hong Kong - Good beer can be found in many establishments, however (as reported by MAH) the Hong Kong Brew House offers the best selection of international beers (especially USA beers). Here is their beer menu-
gallery_2743_244_657677.jpg

Here is a couple of shots showing a portion of the beer fridge at the Hong Kong Brew House-
gallery_2743_244_342631.jpg

gallery_2743_244_404085.jpg

Whilst I was in a bar with an excellent beer menu, I was feeling a bit ginger after all the partying in Macau so I mostly stuck to Guinness and felt better for it. I did try an American IPA later in the night, but it wasn't the right time/place for me to be enjoying a beer like this. I didn't want to waste this opportunity to try new beers so I brought home the following selection-
gallery_2743_244_754948.jpg

By the way, does anyone want a keg setup? These were just sitting at the top of Lan Kwai Fong-
gallery_2743_244_972628.jpg

Top report Rukh.Went to HK many years ago but didnt spend enough time to check out the best beer places.Another day maybe.
Anyway reckon i will pick the far right hand four kegs for my set up.

Cheers
Big D

well not sure about the beers and it's been a few years but here are my choices in Wan Chai

Carnagies - Wed night - free champagne for ladies, but fun any night
Dusk till Dawn - always a good Filippino cover band

enjoy

Unfortunately I didn't make it to Wan Chai this time, but don't forget Fenwicks.

Do try get there before the A$ drops any further because its great to only pay about A$6 for a bottle of Chimay in a bar.

Latest posts

Back