• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Good Place To Get Cheap Stuff From

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
Another user (Phrak :icon_chickcheers:) put me onto this site. They ship out of Hong Kong and do not charge freight, however the costs are all US$:

http://www.dealextreme.com/

Why so good?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15002 - DIG Scales, $13 delivered. Resolution to 0.01g. Great for hops or cocaine (j/k).

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1164 - Hanging Scales - up to 40kg - $10 delivered. I have these, very good.

Other cool stuff - wicked Cree LED torches, misc cables, memory cards, all kind of stuff. I've bought a fair bit from these guys and it's all gone well. No affiliation etc.

Cheeers - Mike

There is some VERY obscure stuff on that website...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1164 - Hanging Scales - up to 40kg - $10 delivered. I have these, very good.

Cheeers - Mike

I've been looking at those hanging scales. Great for weighing out a bucket of grain or LDME...

How accurate are they - have you checked?

I see they state a 20g precision, but precision isn't to be mistaken for accuracy!

Cheers

Breezy

breezy - I did a couple of quick tests and they seem to be on the money. Ie.. took a 3kg tin and it measured 3.04kg.

Cheers - Mike

Back in the day dealextreme had good bulk buys. I was half tempted to order a pallet load of toilet paper... cuz yo uknow you'll eventually use it, and it was cheap!

haha 50 frangers for $3 delivered from HK... I'm not sure I trust em.

Feh, why bother with 6 cent frangers when you can use glad wrap and sticky tape.

Anyway, site looks like it has some good deals, provided you understand you get what you pay for in terms of quality!

lol yeah use 2 and put some deep heat gel in between them. Someone will know if one of them breaks haha.

bahahaha, that's gold....

I wonder if half the stuff in the "self defence" category would get through customs...

...precision isn't to be mistaken for accuracy!
I agree completely Breezy. Too many people think precision means the scales/device will be accurate. There is a fundamental difference between the two concepts alright.

GPS is a great example (not DGPS). Very, very precise, but only reasonably accurate.

Cheers,
Jake

Digital Scales look great, only today was i quoted $90 for some at a kitchenwares shop <_< . No thanks.

Think i'll invest in some

cheers mike :icon_cheers:
bowie

RE the quality issue. Yeah, you get what you pay for but having bought a few things from there, you get the same quality as here but you pay 7x the price. It's all made in the same place - not like your buying German precision measurement gear or swiss timepieces!

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15002 - DIG Scales, $13 delivered. Resolution to 0.01g. Great for hops or cocaine (j/k).
I ordered one of these the minute I saw this thread - I've been using horribly innaccurate (and imprecise to boot) kitchen scales. It just arrived this morning. 10 days from click to door. Batteries included, backlit, can be calibrated, and has a nifty little magnetic cover.

As for the issue of precision and accuracy, I did a little test - I weighed some coins (whatever I had on me) and compared to the 'standard values' (from Wikipedia). More samples would of course have been better, but I think this shows enough;

4 x $1.00 = 36.03g ==> 9.01g each c.f. 9.00g
7 x $0.50 = 109.44g ==> 15.63g each c.f. 15.55g
5 x $0.10 = 28.39g ==> 5.68g each c.f. 5.60g

Keep in mind, I'm comparing to the 'true weights' of these coins - the ones in my wallet are in circulation, and thus are dirty, scratched, etc... I'd say that, for at least weighing hops, where I'm only interested in +/- 1g, these will do quite nice!!!

Cheers MVZOOM!! :icon_cheers:

As for the issue of precision and accuracy, I did a little test - I weighed some coins (whatever I had on me) and compared to the 'standard values' (from Wikipedia). More samples would of course have been better, but I think this shows enough;

I bought the same scales awhile ago and just for fun calibrated them at work with a traceable 1 kg mass. After doing this they gave identical results to balances worth thousands of dollars. They are great value.

I bought the same scales awhile ago and just for fun calibrated them at work with a traceable 1 kg mass. After doing this they gave identical results to balances worth thousands of dollars. They are great value.
Not quite the same - this one, which is what I ordered - has a max. weight of 100g. Seems though, that I have been sent this one instead, which has a max. weight of 300g... SCORE!

But yes, they do seem to work quite well. I'll need to keep track of the precision over time - perhaps they don't last long... ?

Latest posts

Back