Good Idea Or Bad Idea?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattric

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I've just gotten back into brewing again and I have 2 kits of Tooheys Larger Premium I want to get rid of. I'm not a huge fan of Tooheys so I thought I would put both cans in the fermenter with SAFALE US-05 and then during the secondary ferment (I'm going to try that for the first time) I was going to put in 1kg of rasberrys to give it a more fruity taste the wife would enjoy.

Is this a good idea or something that would be considered stupid?

how would you do it and what could I do to improve this beer?

The beer wouldn't go with it. It suits wheat beers, and the like, but not tooheys cans.

I'd consider getting hold of some fresh hops (such as craftbrewer sell) and dry hopping/late boil with some Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo or something. If you want fruit to jazz up the beer - look no further than hops.

Goomba

... I have 2 kits of Tooheys Larger Premium I want to get rid of. I'm not a huge fan of Tooheys ...

I know the feeling. Maybe use one kit and some BE1 or BE2 with the raspberries, but not a toucan...

Barls gave the fruitbeer link, so no point elaborating

I tried putting fruit in one of my beers, it was the only brew i have thrown away because of how rank the smell was. I bottled 3 tallies and threw them up the back of the cupboard to forget about them. Was hard to get the smell out of my fermenter though.

I've done toucan lagers before. Bitter as a mother in law, but very good. Good if you like your beers varied and flavoursome.

And as for fruit - why not? Add a kilo of cherries or similar (whatever on special) to the fermenter after the US05 has done it's trick.

It will add lots of alc%, colour and flavour. Good for a aging.

Once I added blueberries to a lager...once I added cherries to a stout....

living_on_the_edge_poster-p228915524511871924t5wm_400.jpg

Once i used lager yeast and fermented at 28 degrees :D

Once i used lager yeast and fermented at 28 degrees :D

Tooheys New recipe by the book :icon_cheers: same as my first, which I tipped out and waited years for until 20th Feb 2006....

Latest posts

Back