good Food article - the truth about cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing like the smell of a picking shed full of ripe apples. Most memorable for me is ripe grannies... I have never even seen a ripe granny in the shops.

I did one last year with over-ripe 2nds Pink Lady apples, juiced and US-05. Man it was rocket fuel, but really nice.

Did a champagne cider with Rocklea Market direct GS & Jonathan before that.

I compared it with the ALDI cider and yeah, much more character - not just the pink lady (though my preference would have been for Granny Smith, but I grabbed what was available), I could put my finger on what else but there was something extra.

The ALDI cider was good - tricked up in CC with a couple kg of frozen raspberries and then kegged to avoid fermentation. Tasty.

TBH - the over-ripeness of the Pink Ladies not only yielded better efficiency, but I reckon it just works. And I was paying 19c/kg, as opposed to around $1 per kg.

This year, now I'm in Tassie, I'll be raiding the trees on the side of the road. I'm not sure how to tell whether they're ready (most trees are now starting to drop apples, so I reckon it's time). Half will be cider with Windsor and half will become apple brandy.

Goomba

I attended the event at Manly and sampled everything available: which at 20 or so brewers, each with 2-3 drinks, left me pretty sauced! I would echo the former comments in this thread that the majority of commercial ciders do tend towards simplicity and flatness and are obviously not interested in preserving character and complexity. That's to be expected. (My experience outside of Australia includes cider festivals in the UK, plus mainland European export ciders, and US ciders). I am now back in China establishing a commercial operation of my own, and have vowed not to stoop to such depths. People deserve better and are happy to pay for it.

Do the chinese drink cider? They do grow a lot of apples.
I have some himalayan pears growing but not fruiting yet (Pyrus pashia). They are supposed to have some tannin so I think they might make a good perry. If you can find some trees (seeing you are in the himalayas) you should investigate.

Latest posts

Back