Good Craftbeer in Melbourne!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well gents it went like this. Stayed at some dive in Spencer Street for which there will be some serious conversation had with my admin girl tomorrow but other than that WOW!.....Had ironing to do on arrival so ducked next door to the bottlo and grabbed a SN Pale Ale, Kellerweis and Tumbler to while away the ironing issue. Feeling suitably primed / refreshed I then struck out in search of the elusive craft beer bars of your fair city. Called into the Waterside Hotel for a cooling Fat yak mid walk as it was friggin HOT and then continued my sodjourn. Went to the Saint something or other across from the closed Bottoms Up and had a goats head Steam Ale. Not bad at all so another pint of said steam ale was required to ensure my earlier tasting notes were correct. They were. I then had something APAish that was...................well just an apa so I decided that this was not what I was in Melbourne for so I decided that Bum was the man with the answer and I was always told to follow my heart so why not my bum. I went in search of Deja Vu. I found it, handed over a lazy 30 for the dozen tasters and I was away. Some seriously good beers with a couple of good blokes behind the jump. I won't give any individual descriptions other than that of the champion beer of the night, a sour as luck would have it, the Grand Cru Rodenbach Wild Ale. What a beer! It sourness hit at first like a St Kilda Transvestite who'd been ripped off by Cocko. Then it mellowed and the flavours were everywhere! A veritable party in ones mouth and you know all about those cocko don't you. Once the tasters were finished it was off to Lygonm Street for a spot of nourishment. I alighted from the Taxi after being astonished at how cheap the fair was and was feeling rather chipper. It was then that a small nuggety male assailant obviously Italian n rushed at me. I stood my ground and prepared for the fight. I turned to see if the cabby would hold my watch but unfortunately he had departed obviously worried about the highly vocal and clearly violent little man......................It then dawned on me that my would be attacker was in fact more interested in lightening my wallett in exchange for a repaste' that he assured me couldn't be matched even in Italy! I decided to take him on his word as I now become aware of several similarly vocal Italian gents eyeing me off like a box of KFC at a weight watchers meeting. I dined on the veal Marsala which, whilst not having been to Italy, lived up to my now little mates claims. It was f$#cking fantastic. Washed it down with a couple of James Boags (best of a very bad bunch) and then legged it to a bar just up the road and consumed some craft beers of some description from there. Now by this time I was feeling a little tired and didn't commit the names to memory but rest assurred they were not too bad but not outstanding. So stumps were called at that venue and I still felt in need of some devilment. So off to the big house it was. Spent $450.00 and a lazy what seemed like 17 seconds there and I decided to check my trusty time piece.........................oops 3ish......................so I then took a leisurely walk along the Yarra, which is a creek by the way not a river, flipped some beggar a two dollar coin out of the goodness of my heart (never offend the local gods) and the prick then wanted to shake my hand. Typhoid was the first thing that struck my mind so I declined his offer he told me to F#4ck myself and I thought about retrieving the aforementioned two dollars. I decided that it was a lesson learnt suggested he go take a tub, various expletives inserted and strolled off to my dingy lodgings. Awoke had breakfast did what I had to do workwise and returned to the sunshine state. My conclusions are thus. Fantastic place! Don't any of you pricks ever complain to me about the price of your Taxis and I will be making a return visit possibly with SWMBO in tow!

Rowy said:
It sourness hit at first like a St Kilda Transvestite who'd been ripped off by Cocko!
of which there are plenty :lol:

Glad you had a good old time of it Rowy..

Re the Yarra.. it must be a river, you cant float corpses down a creek :ph34r:

Point taken Yob. One of the funniest things I saw was walking over a bridge yesterday arvo and seeing this boat full of tourists that all had to duck as they went under it. I'm about 5 feet 17 inches so I would have a problem.

What I will say is after visiting Sydney many many times and having worked and lived there for about 3mths once there is no comparison between the two places. The Victorian capital is the place for me :icon_chickcheers:

quickly reviving Rowy's top efforts about a year later.

am heading to melbourne right now for a few days of work and pleasure, staying at the upper end of queen street near flagstaff gardens.

are there any half decent bottlos around there just so I can get a few night caps in?

Florian said:
quickly reviving Rowy's top efforts about a year later.

am heading to melbourne right now for a few days of work and pleasure, staying at the upper end of queen street near flagstaff gardens.

are there any half decent bottlos around there just so I can get a few night caps in?
There's one at the market that has quite a good range. Haven't been there for a while tho.

Other than that, I'm not aware of anything that great.

MAX POWER said:
There's one at the market that has quite a good range. Haven't been there for a while tho.
Other than that, I'm not aware of anything that great.
with markets I assume you mean queen victoria markets? was heading there anyway for some tasty stuff.

cheers Spiesy, might check those out if I haven't got any luck otherwise.

Florian said:
with markets I assume you mean queen victoria markets? was heading there anyway for some tasty stuff.

cheers Spiesy, might check those out if I haven't got any luck otherwise.
Yeah Queen Vic. In the deli part near the Therry st entrance.

Like I said, I haven't been there for a while. Things often change at the market.

Mardoo said:
And Flagstaff Gardens is also an excellent place to meet transvestites.
that's why i booked my hotel close by seeing cocko is not available at the moment.

cheers Max am at the markets noww, will have a look out.

Short tram ride from vic market to parkhill cellars on errol street. Flagstaff station is right near de ja vu as well. Good bar.

There's a bar on Little Bourke between Queen and Elizabeth called Du Nord. I've only been there once because I recently started working nearby, but there was a decent beer selection. Had some interesting Nordic beers, a dark lager I really enjoyed but can't remember the name of.

thanks everyone. had a decent haul at the markets, albeit only food, but got some fresh green tiger prawwns, a lovely piece of sashimi tuna, some stuffed olives, two t-bones, avocadoes and other bits and bobs. great being only a minute away from the markets and glad i booked a studio apartment so I can quickly wisk something simple up in the kitchen at worldcupo'clock.

still havent found a bottlo that goes beyond 4pines and LC unfortunately, but haven't really tried hard either. am sure i will regret it tonight.

sitting at cookie for now with a red eye rye, i know it's a bit of a showpony place but i do like the atmosphere in there.

Florian said:
sitting at cookie for now with a red eye rye, i know it's a bit of a showpony place but i do like the atmosphere in there.
Cookie is pretty awesome.

Worst comes to worst, there is a dan's a block or so aeay from cookie. Google dan murphys qv vic.

Florian hop on the 75 or 48 tram and take it to Bridge Road and Burnley Street (Stop 21) FFS and go to Slow Beer. You'll get everything you want. Their website isn't updated real frequently, but it's a great little shop, and among the Melbourne craft beer bottle shop forerunners. They keep 4 beers on tap. Go the To Ol Liquid Courage.

http://www.slowbeer.com.au/

Didn't see those comments until now, Dan's around the corner would have been the perfect compromise.

Settled for a sixer of LCPA from the IGA across from where I stay and it's not too bad actually. Will head out again soonish to find some dinner and maybe a few drinks somewhere.

Got a bit of 'work' stuff to do tomorrow, so not sure if I'll make it to slow beer or not.

When do you head back mate? If it's not till tuesday, could go a pint on monday if you're up for it.

Back