Good Beer To Brew At 43c

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo9

Reaction score
My 3 fermenters have been empty for over 2 weeks...

stocks of home brew going down quickly.....

toothpaste coming out as liquid...

can't tell whether the oven is on or off by touching....

3 hours sleep last night....

What should I be doing?

Move to Canada i hear its nice there this time of year:p

i think at 43 degrees its a "go down the bottlo and buy some commercial beer" day.

The saison dupont strain of yeast (WLP565/Wyeast 3724) is said to work well up to high 30's (deg C). Now all you need is a saison recipe...

HB kit and white sugar should go alright with the kit yeast. I'm sure it's within the temps specified on the can :lol:

See if you can get one of those large polystyrene boxes used by chemists or produce markets, with the lid to, and keep the fermentor in that with ice bricks. Might be alright for a Belgian?

- boingk

I have my fermenter sitting in the laundry sink, filled with water, swap a few frozen 1.25l bottles of water in/out a couple of times a day, maintains about 18-20deg fairly easily.
Only problem was power-outage for about 6-8 hours yesterday evening left the ice-bottles a little short today so it got up to 21, but since it was 43 at the time, can't complain.

I have my fermenter sitting in the laundry sink, filled with water, swap a few frozen 1.25l bottles of water in/out a couple of times a day, maintains about 18-20deg fairly easily.
Only problem was power-outage for about 6-8 hours yesterday evening left the ice-bottles a little short today so it got up to 21, but since it was 43 at the time, can't complain.

What beer you got in ther Wolfy?

What beer you got in ther Wolfy?
A simple Ale that I've added fresh picked organic raspberrys to (in the secondary).
Its (Safale US-05) spend the majority of its fermenting time at about 18deg, so it should be fine in that regard. :)

+1 for this method. Steady temp of 18 degrees for my fermenter (in cupboard, wrapped with wet towel & 3 litre ice brick swap every 12 hours)

Too damn hot, i reckon i am going through 2-4 longnecks an evening after work, at that rate it will only take a few more days to demolish an entire 23 liter brew.
I think my stockpiles are holding for now but with another week of high 30's on the way and i will be in trouble, think i may have to empty the bar fridge and brew in that!
No Fridgemate in sight here but it it get's much hotter i can just run the fridge normally ;)
It's so damn hot that the internal walls in this place warmed my towel up this morning.
The pool temp is 34*, i was using the pool heating to cool the roof. Now the house and the pool is 34*!!!!!

Too damn hot, i reckon i am going through 2-4 longnecks an evening after work, at that rate it will only take a few more days to demolish an entire 23 liter brew.
I think my stockpiles are holding for now but with another week of high 30's on the way and i will be in trouble, think i may have to empty the bar fridge and brew in that!
No Fridgemate in sight here but it it get's much hotter i can just run the fridge normally ;)
It's so damn hot that the internal walls in this place warmed my towel up this morning.
The pool temp is 34*, i was using the pool heating to cool the roof. Now the house and the pool is 34*!!!!!

I used to use a simple timer on the fridge powerpoint, on 15 min every 2 hours was perfect.......

+2 for laundry sink/ice bath. Swap out 3-4 bottles of ice every morning and night, and last night I just topped up with the ice from our ice bucket (i.e. the fridge makes ice, and it goes into a bucket thing in the freezer) as the temp had edged up from 17-18 to 20-21 yesterday. It's back down to 18 again now though.

I've also got a few towels draped over the top, with one of them sitting just in the water to get some light evaporative cooling going also. It doesn't make much difference, but every little bit counts.

+2 for laundry sink/ice bath. Swap out 3-4 bottles of ice every morning and night, and last night I just topped up with the ice from our ice bucket (i.e. the fridge makes ice, and it goes into a bucket thing in the freezer) as the temp had edged up from 17-18 to 20-21 yesterday. It's back down to 18 again now though.

I've also got a few towels draped over the top, with one of them sitting just in the water to get some light evaporative cooling going also. It doesn't make much difference, but every little bit counts.

+3. I have the wet towel wrapped around the fermenter, in a big plastic storage container, 1/4 filled with water, and rotating 2L frozen drink containers. Generally keeping it around 20 deg.

Overnight it snuck back up to 25 (forgot to add more ice), as our place is friggin hot (was 38 inside upstairs yest morning!), about 34 downstairs. Only one window rattler in spare room upstairs where we sleep...).

I am off to the folks in law this weekend. May bring the fermentor with me, although its almost done, so maybe a racking then crash chill in keg fridge. Boy it is warm...

The beer is a Nut Brown Ale (partial kit) from LHBS. There is no way am I fermenting my first cubed AG until I have a cool week or two on the weather forecast!

+4 for this. I'm in Melbourne as well (sunbury actually, so even hotter as I'm north and not near the beach). 18-20deg for me as well.

My house reached a delightful 41C yesterday afternoon.

Managed to get 2 bedrooms down to 25C after several hours with 2 x portable A/C units.

The fermentor full of Amber Ale was sitting comfortably at 18C in the old fridge, reached FG now and tasted quite nice... my first beer with Green Bullet. I racked to secondary and dry hopped. Can't wait to get this into bottles.

HB kit and white sugar should go alright with the kit yeast. I'm sure it's within the temps specified on the can :lol:
Yep. Can of HomeBrand or Wander lager, 1kg cane sugar, ferment away like mad at 43 deg. Actually use 1.5kg for that "extra kick". Bottle in VB or Toohey's stubbies with the labels still on, and give it to your mega-swill mates after a few days. Lets see if they can tell the difference...

:chug: :icon_drunk: :icon_cheers: (meanwhile, this is you with your poncy craft beer poured into a glass).

sometime later than evening...

:icon_drool2: :icon_vomit:

Back