Good Beer Outlets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermented

I have the body of a god: Buddha.
Reaction score
Evening all!

I'm trying to get my tastebuds well educated and kill those few stray weak brain cells while I am at it. I thought to try a range of good (or better) and maybe unusual import/commercial/boutique beers to do that.

What stores in Sydney have a good range of interesting beers that I can use as part of my beery education?

Dan Murphys in Willoughby doesn't excite me. Ditto Hornsby (it actually leaves me feeling empty).

Ideas?

Cheers - Fermented.

Hi Fermented, another local :)

Around here your best two bets are North Shore Liquor in Cammeray and Jims Cellars in Crows Nest. Probably the best in Sydney is Northmead Cellars (Northmead).

Cheers

Edit: oh, forgot to add that you can order over the Internet from IBS in Western Australia. I don't think there is a better selection in Australia.
http://www.internationalbeershop.com.au/

Hey Fermented

I think First Choice Liquor is the way to go. I'm not sure if you have one close by but i was told by one of the guys at my local store at North Rock that there range is 250+ different beers.

It's an awesome range, the only problem is trying to choose what to try. I;m working my way through each style.

Lachlan

+1 for 1st Choice Liquor. They are Coles' answer to Dan Murphy which is owned by Woolies. My local store in Morayfield QLD has a huge range in their beer section, everything from sheepshaggers bitter to tallies of obscure German Beers to 'widowmaker' pom Superlagers 9% that will make your brains melt and run out of your ears :party: The sections are basically pom, euro, other (Indian, Yank, Jap etc) and a big range of Domestics like Blue Tongue, Burleigh Heads Brewing etc etc.

I've never been to Dan's and I'm disappointed to hear their beer range isn't too hot. Nearest one is about forty k from here but I might look in when I'm next at Chermside.

cloud wines in Melb do an online service, they have a good range - go to www.slowbeer.com.au

Platinum Cellars at Concord and Bellevue Hill.

They're awesome. You'll see beers there that you won't see anywhere else.

Jez

Evening all!

Dan Murphys in Willoughby doesn't excite me. Ditto Hornsby (it actually leaves me feeling empty).

1st Choice 306 - 314 WILLOUGHBY RD NAREMBURN (02) 9432 8300

Also up Chatswood on Victoria Ave there's Vintage Cellars, while they both don't have a huge choice it might stock some different stuff to Dan Murphy's at Willoughby. I had just picked up some Paulaner Heles from Vintage Cellars not long ago and noticed they had a fair bit of good stuff, you just have to walk right past the wine section and walk into the back of the shop to see all the beer.

the latest catalog for beer is: http://www.1stchoice.com.au/html/whatshot/...s.asp?state=nsw

Thanks for all the tips fellas!

I get around Sydney a fair bit visiting clients, so will check out the non-local ones as I go.

Again, many thanks.

Cheers - Fermented.

Camperdown Cellars in Camperdown for sure
Dan Murphys in Alexandria
The funny little bottl-o nearest the end of Glebe Pt Rd. though I got one beer there (perla?) that was skunk-eee, all others have been good
Darlinghurst Cellars cnr Loverpool + Oxford + College sts - sometimes have cool beers

Hey Bizier

When you talk about the nearest end of Glebe Point Rd, do you mean closer to Broadway/Parramatta Rd or towards the end of the point? That used to be my stomping ground (ex-in-laws had a house there) but it has been a long time since I've been in there.

Cheers - Fermented.

only thing I know up that was is:

Broadway Liquor Distributors 96 Glebe Point Rd, Glebe

There's another one called Glebe Liquor too iirc.

Easy way to find out seeing that they're about three minutes apart (oh, twenty minutes to allow for the craptacular traffic on Glebe Point Rd and amazing acid-fuelled parking styles), is just to go look next time I am over there.

Again, thanks for the guidance fellas!

Cheers - Fermented.

Glebe Liquor has a black exterior and is just down from the Toxteth. Nice bakery (pies) between the two :) Going further west, Camperdown Cellars, Amatos (Leichardt) & 1st Choice (Ashfield) are usually good. Vintage Cellars (Petersham) & BWS (Glebe) just seems to have the standards now.

The cellars at Seaforth were good for some Belgian stuff earlier this year. I was at a relo's place and darted across the road when I ran out of Fosters. The 6pack of assorted brews was on the wrong side of $50 but I was impressed with the selection.

daaniel

Yep - Glebe Liquor, it is good, has some unusual finds such as Thomas Hardy Ale. Though not the cheapest. And DONT BUY THE PERLA if you go there.
And yep, traffic is especially craptacular with the current 'upgrade' that has f***ed most street front businesses.

But if they get the new laws brought in there won't be anymore alcohol being able to be delivered to your home.
They want to ban that as well as every place close up at 2am.

You're sh*tting me?

This 'new morality' regarding alcohol really disgusts me. First they have revised alcohol consumption guidelines to define more than three standard drinks in one session as binge drinking and now this?

Home delivery, for the most part, is a non-issue aside from mail-order. For some people who are house bound or where there order is inconveniently large (say for a party) it's an essential service or at least a great convenience.

When you say "close every place up at 2am" do you mean bottle shops or do you mean bars/pubs/clubs?

Cheers - Fermented.

But if they get the new laws brought in there won't be anymore alcohol being able to be delivered to your home.
They want to ban that as well as every place close up at 2am.

There they go again, implementing some move that sounds good on paper so that they can look like they are doing something. (actually it doesn't really sound good on paper either) Stopping sales after 2am fine, but banning home delivery, that won't really do anything but hurt mail order merchants.

The do-gooders strike again... (cue empire strikes back theme song)

Back