Good Beer In Ballarat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillscottish

Uh, Detective Parson, madam.
Reaction score
Hi guys (and gals)

I'll be in Ballarat for a week from the 20th March. Are there any good beery places worth a visit in and around town? All I've foung so far is the Bended Elbow and O'Brien Brewery.

Any other suggestions?

Campbell
and yes forum nazis, I've done a search :p

edit: and the title should have had a question mark.

I'd love to help but I don't really go out in Ballarat. I'm not sure what the Bended Elbow purports to offer, but good luck to you.

Daylesford has a place called Breakfast and Beer which has a reasonable range of beers (bottled), but even their website has grandly proclaimed more than their fridge has offered everytime I've been.

For the beer fan, by all means go and check out O'Briens brewery, (it's run by Milletman who is an AHB member).

Other than that I will wait with anticipation to see if anyone offers any thoughts.

Best beer I've drunk in Ballarat was at the Gong a few weekends ago drinking other people's AG haha!

Historic buildings? Check.

Vibrant and welcoming venue with a variety of craft brews on tap?...errr - drive to Holgate in Woodend.

If you're interested, PM me closer to the time and we can see if we can rustle up a few guys for a little tasting session perhaps?

the bended elbow 'premium ale house' is quite dissapointing, the only ale they had when i was there a month ago was a decidedly bad keg of fat yak, they have grolsch and stella on tap and then the usual fare. apparently craigs royal hotel is quite good, but was closed by the time i made it.

theres a big dan murphys in a cool old building though!!

A couple of pubs where you will find non-mega swill beer on tap:

The GC on sturt street. Last time I was there they had 3 different james squires on tap and were actually proud of the fact they didn't serve vb or draught.
The North Britain hotel (corner McArthur and Doveton). Cosy little pub where you go for a good meal and a beer, not just a couple of cold bevvies (GC would be better for that).

I'm sure there are others but as someone who rarely gets out in Ballarat, they are my suggestions.

Might want to pack warm, given where you are coming from ;)

Yea the Dans is in an ex-Military barracks.

The Craigs has two taps of James Squire also, but the handful of times I've been there they haven't actually been attached to a keg.

As Wakkatoo mentioned there are some great places for meals etc but i"ve yet to find anywhere with anything too radical to offer as far as beer goes.

Corner of Talbot and Eyre still has a huge painting on the side of a building advertising Ballarat Bitter if you are interested in kitsch value.

As the others have mentioned there's the Golden City Hotel that has James Squire. Craig's Hotel is worth a look, I've eaten at the restaurant there recently and it has great food (sort of french inspired) and a decent beer list, I had a Chimay Blue and I remember Knappstein being on the list as well.

As far a draught beer goes we're pretty much drowning in a sea of Carlton Draught here.

If you're into live original music the Karova Lounge has the two Coopers Ales on tap as well as Little Creatures Bright Ale.

My bar has Saison, Wheat and ESB on tap at the moment :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

As the others have mentioned there's the Golden City Hotel that has James Squire. Craig's Hotel is worth a look, I've eaten at the restaurant there recently and it has great food (sort of french inspired) and a decent beer list, I had a Chimay Blue and I remember Knappstein being on the list as well.

As far a draught beer goes we're pretty much drowning in a sea of Carlton Draught here.

If you're into live original music the Karova Lounge has the two Coopers Ales on tap as well as Little Creatures Bright Ale.

My bar has Saison, Wheat and ESB on tap at the moment :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Hey Campbell, I've got a can of Ballarat Bitter you can have to prep your palate for the trip.
Enjoy!

Edit: oooo aaarr, the bloody stuff has chewed through the base of the can and escaped :blink: .

Ballarat.

Bended Elbow.
Okay Fat Yak and Bluetounge. Joined their VIP club and got $2 off meals and a $25 bottle of wine cos it was my birthday.

Everywhere else.
Carlton Draught, which isn't so bad really.

Indian Restaurant at the top of Bridge Mall.
Shit.

Aldi.
6 pack of Kaiserdom $9.99. Why not in Qld!!!!!!!!!!

Daylesford.
Hotel on the left at the roundabout. The only place I've ever taken a beer back. Food was excellent and got two Bohemian Pilsners to go with it. Asked the barmaid who made it as the tap had no other info on it. "Boags maybe?" was the answer. Even Mrs Stillscottish could tell lemon juice had no place in the flavour profile. After much deliberation took them back and the Bar Person said "It's supposed to have a hoppy flavour". She then poured off half a jug then poured me two others (all this time beer is a "gusher" coming out of tap. Still the same.
Swapped them for two Draughts.
Sorted.
Mill Markets. All kinds of Bar stuff on the day. Bought the lot. Old MRCV bottles were $8-10 but didn't buy any. Was out past Scarsdale the next day and got a bunch for $2 each.

Did I mention Aldi? Cheese, milk, bread, eggs, beer.

Campbell

And them horses at Sovereign Hill stink!!!

Latest posts

Back