Golden Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarryd

Reaction score
So i'm looking to use golden syrup in my next brew, Ive got a Coopers Draught can.
So i was thinking about brewing :
1 Coopers Draught
1kg Light Dry Malt
300gm Dex
300gm golden syrup
9gm ringwood hops .
Basically Last time i used Golden Syrup i developed a white film on top of my wort so i was wondering how i would be able to avoid it this time round?

Boil it up with the other sugars you are using. 200 - 400ml will give a fair bit of flavour. Best with a stout or dark ale.

So i'm looking to use golden syrup in my next brew, Ive got a Coopers Draught can.
So i was thinking about brewing :
1 Coopers Draught
1kg Light Dry Malt
300gm Dex
300gm golden syrup
9gm ringwood hops .
Basically Last time i used Golden Syrup i developed a white film on top of my wort so i was wondering how i would be able to avoid it this time round?

hi, how do you know that the white film on top of the wort was due to the golden syrup.?
seems an infected wort. and check sanitation methods like metasulphite wash of fermenter . wort retained too long in the fermenter after fermentation is complete. e.t.c

hope it helps
alan

I was led to believe the white film came about because i didn't boil up the golden syrup to kill any of the nasties in it?

I've used Lyles Golden Syrup a few times and unless you have left it sitting around with the lid off it should be quite sterile. However it doesn't do any harm to bring it to the boil with any other adjucts like malt extract that you are using. Sounds like a good recipe and the syrup should give a nice caramelly taste .. I have used it in English Bitters.

I've used Lyles Golden Syrup a few times and unless you have left it sitting around with the lid off it should be quite sterile. However it doesn't do any harm to bring it to the boil with any other adjucts like malt extract that you are using. Sounds like a good recipe and the syrup should give a nice caramelly taste .. I have used it in English Bitters.

+1 Boiling all sugars will ensure its all nice and sterile. I've haven't tried golden syrup in a brew yet, but I'be heard it is pretty good in a bitter, let us know how it works out!

Made one back in my uni kit brewing days.

Was a Coopers Draught tin, BE2, 250g of Golden Syrup (10 years ago but thats what my standard was)

Boiled up the BE2 and golden syrup in 4L of water, added 10g of POR, boiled another 5 mins and then turned off the heat.

Poured this thru a stocking over the top of the fermenter with another 10g of POR pellets.

+1 Boiling all sugars will ensure its all nice and sterile. I've haven't tried golden syrup in a brew yet, but I'be heard it is pretty good in a bitter, let us know how it works out!

+2 boiling it all.
Is Golden Syrup like Honey in that it will never go off?

Poured this thru a stocking over the top of the fermenter with another 10g of POR pellets.

:lol:
Reminds me of an episode of Man About The House, George asked Mildred if she had any clean socks to strain his homebrew through. :lol:

I was led to believe the white film came about because i didn't boil up the golden syrup to kill any of the nasties in it?

hi, could you tell us when the white film was noticed. ie. was it at the end of fermentation.? high ambient temp at the end of fermention can cause a white
film. the white film usually ruins the beer.

cheers
alan

wort retained too long in the fermenter after fermentation is complete. e.t.c

Had this happen, left a brew too long for one reason then another and had a nice white film on top. :blink:

hi, could you tell us when the white film was noticed. ie. was it at the end of fermentation.? high ambient temp at the end of fermention can cause a white

cheers
alan
Yep it defiantly would have been, probably even got up to 30!
I did that brew last year when i thought i knew what i was doing haha, let it sit in my garage at a temperature like that should pretty much make it clear i had know idea at all. I put down said brew today, did a boil and added the golden syrup as recommended in this thread, it's currently fermenting under my house at a cool constant 20 degree's :)

cheers
alan

Can also be caused by exposure to air (ie infection)
Happened to my first brew because I was using an old fermenter and the lid didn't seal 100% properly.
In my case I was lucky, because after a couple of months in the bottle most of the film had dropped out and the beer was very drinkable! :)

Latest posts

Back