Golden promise weizen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJez

Reaction score
Just wanted to gather some thoughts on a 50/50 GP wheat beer?

I'm thinking it's a nice base malt malt, somewhat similar to pilsner malt. What do you think?

I'm also looking at adding the zest of 2 oranges, 15gms coriander seed and perhaps a couple packets of chamomile tea? Never used the tea before and don't know how much to start with. I find standard wit's to be a little boring these days

I thought about trying it or marris otter in a hef might do it in a week or two. I wouldn't do the Belgian thing though, you know they corrupted Dr Evil don't you.

Well I think it's personal choice really man

Going to make a 50/50 wheat/GP USA wheat. But will sub in 20% raw wheat to the grist. Wyeast 1010.

Raw wheat makes a far superior product IMO. It's just so much nicer

Raw wheat makes a far superior product IMO. It's just so much nicer
are you mixing up a German weizen , which does not have spices and raw wheat with a Belgian wit which does have spices and raw wheat. They are two different styles of beer.

I made a bunch of German-style cloudy wheat beers with 50/50, 40/60 even 60/60 ;)
I find they sometimes lack body (IMHO), and I think you want about 3-5% crystal in there too.
Maybe something light, carapils would work.

But you seem to also be referencing Belgian Wit style (which does use orange, coriander & chamomile). This typically uses a significant portion of unmalted wheat in the grist.

Also make sure your chamomile tea is 100% flowers, you don't want anything else in there. Failing that, it's easy to buy these dried flowers online, or pure-flower tea in Asian grocery shops.

Latest posts

Back