God damn #^*!*&*#^& flies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's how we usually catch them, a little bit of port in a glass and a paper funnel. Once they're in they won't find out again. That's the amount we have after half a day, heaps of them already drowned in the port as well, but i'm sure they're breeding in there too.

Funnily they have almost completely disappeared for the last week or so, thinking about it I think it also coincides with the bananas running out, so Nick might be onto something, not sure.

DSC_3228.JPG

Florian you nailed it for killing alive ones, but the trick is to break the breeding cycle.

Many years working in dirty pubs/ nightclubs have taught me how to combat these suckers.

They breed in stagnant water, specifically drains that dont get flushed as often as they should. Things like floor waste, storm water, laundry etc.

Every drain has a u bend as you all know and this is fruit fly nirvana, they root and breed in there and love it.

Trick to get rid of them:

For seven days in a row, pour either boiling water or chlorine or bleach down every drain in your area. Make sure drip trays etc are clean.

After 7 days you break the cycle and they will disappear.

Even in the cleanest brewery, you forget about the drains and this is why the one drop of beer in your drip tray will attract them.

The rain hasn't helped because there is stagnant water everywhere.

Back