Goat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunderthebed

Reaction score
Mmmm....goat love the stuff only had it once but a local butcher supplies it now so this week goat curry i'm counting down the days. :icon_drool2:

Lucky *******......i use to shoot Feral goats out Kalgoorlie way they tasted like Mutton! and i cant buy both here in Tas

Seriously how good is goat??? Nothing better in my book!!!

Reminds me of the day we did goat on a spit... :icon_drool2:

We fed the goat on grain for 2 weeks to get a bit of fat on it... Goat is lean, so anything to fatten it up helps :beerbang:

MMmmm... Slow cooked Goat...bah, ya can have your lamb. Goat is sweeter.. :icon_drool2:

Lucky *******......i use to shoot Feral goats out Kalgoorlie way they tasted like Mutton! and i cant buy both here in Tas

Really i noticed gamey flavours in my goat but not mutton it must be what its fed of course. I think the goat i get is locally farmed which is great to support local produce. B)

Reminds me of the day we did goat on a spit... :icon_drool2:

We fed the goat on grain for 2 weeks to get a bit of fat on it... Goat is lean, so anything to fatten it up helps :beerbang:

MMmmm... Slow cooked Goat...bah, ya can have your lamb. Goat is sweeter.. :icon_drool2:

**** that sounds good i remember watching river cottage on pay tv and to stop their goat drying they covered it in (don't quote me on this) in pig or beef fat to keep it moist i would imagine it wouldn't impart much flavor and after a long slow cook just drip away.

I love goat. I can only seem to get goat pieces locally which are really only good for a curry or cassarole. Not that I'm complaining as goat curry is fantastic!
Dads former business partner used to do a goat on the spit every year at christmas (our old neighbours were goat farmers so we'd always get the goat for him) and he and the other croatians used to fight for the balls. Having tried them once I cant say they were to my liking though! But spit roast goat it pretty much the best!

Anyone have some good recipes for goat because I'll be getting a couple soon and I would like to make something special out of them.

they double up great as a lawnmower too.

Any advice on where to get goat (of the butchered variety)? I wouldn't mind eating it often because it's very lean and I need something to offset my high calorie drinking habits, :lol:. Haven't seen any at butchers or markets.

I cooked a goat stew when I was out camping a few weeks ago :icon_drool2: it took me back to when dad use to cook it in a big pit in the ground, we use to invite all the gang from up the river (Deua river) down for a feast.. Bloody feasts use to last for 3 days or so :party: Ahh to be a kid again eh......

Polish Lady in the butcher said if your going to do a curry with it, treat it the same as lamb re cooking time

Any advice on where to get goat (of the butchered variety)? I wouldn't mind eating it often because it's very lean and I need something to offset my high calorie drinking habits, :lol: . Haven't seen any at butchers or markets.

You'll be able to find it at a few places at Victoria market. Otherwise try and find a good halal butcher.

Any advice on where to get goat (of the butchered variety)? I wouldn't mind eating it often because it's very lean and I need something to offset my high calorie drinking habits, :lol:. Haven't seen any at butchers or markets.

I go to the butcher on carlisle st in Balaclava (the one across the road to the arcade entry to coles) that might be closer for you than Vic markets. They have legs and diced goat.

Ahh, cool. I think I know the the one. It's a rather large butcher with the counter going all the way around from left to right, rather than just on one side like most butchers.

I'll probably check QVM first, as we're going there this weekend anyway, so might as well have a look, but if I can't find it I'll go to the Balaclava one. :) Thanks for that.

I'll probably go to Tasman soon to stock up the chest freezer, so I'll have a look there too, but I don't remember seeing any last time I was there.

I used to live in Brunswick and bought goat from butchers on Sydney Rd.

Slightly OT - Not far from a turkish restaurant that sold late night kebabs using turkish bread instead of pita bread. I used to stop off on my way home from a night on the turps in the city and there was always more than enough for breakfast the following morning....

Yarra Valley Venison P/L trading as:
Yarra Valley Game Meats
PO Box 206 Healesville Vic 3777
Ph: 5962 5173 Fax: 5962 5051
Mobile: 0418 522 156
ABN 35 005 623 736

an old price list but have used them and they are great. in saying that, any good butcher should also be able to get you goat

View attachment gamemeats.doc

lurv goat. Chappos missus did an awsome dry curry goat when i was up with them. :icon_drool2:

I used to live in Brunswick and bought goat from butchers on Sydney Rd.

Slightly OT - Not far from a turkish restaurant that sold late night kebabs using turkish bread instead of pita bread. I used to stop off on my way home from a night on the turps in the city and there was always more than enough for breakfast the following morning....

Madina's meats?

(where I get my goat and most of my weekly meat supplies, up Sydney Rd just past albion, kebab joints abound).

Ahh, cool. I think I know the the one. It's a rather large butcher with the counter going all the way around from left to right, rather than just on one side like most butchers.

I'll probably check QVM first, as we're going there this weekend anyway, so might as well have a look, but if I can't find it I'll go to the Balaclava one. :) Thanks for that.

I'll probably go to Tasman soon to stock up the chest freezer, so I'll have a look there too, but I don't remember seeing any last time I was there.

That's the one. Great butcher!!

Madina's meats?

(where I get my goat and most of my weekly meat supplies, up Sydney Rd just past albion, kebab joints abound).

Sounds about right, was 6 years ago now but i lived just off albion st. Ate out 2-3 nights a week along Sydney Rd. Amazing food and cheap. I used to buy turkish bread f4resh out of the oven that was nearly 1m in length. For something like $3. Normally find old blokes sitting out the front of shops puffing on those amazing pipes/bongs.

Used to make goat curries quite a lot, sometimes with boneless meat and other times bone in and slow cooked.

Partner's parents have 50 goats although they are the angora breed so not very big and not for meat although they do sell them off when they get a bit old to locals with middle eastern backgrounds. I guess even old goat slow cooked would be tasty.

While Sydney Rd has seen a lot of changes in the last 10 years, the area from Hope St up is still pretty similar. Some of the shops up there have saved my bacon (no pun intended and no offence to our non-pork eating brothers and sister) during the last 4.5 years of postgrad study.

Latest posts

Back