Glasses what's best

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ban...

Random op shops keep my glass collection expanding and I prefer my old school small glass tankard style glasses for consuming from..

Oh yeah and my brewdog and sierra Nevada IPA glasses if I'm feeling fancy ;)

My very favourite beer glasses are Reidel's O-Series Syrah or Cabernet-Merlot wine glasses ironically. Have never found something quite as awesome to drink BIG beers out of, they're great for stouts, porters, and imperial IPAs. Dont knock it till you've tried it :p

For session glasses though, if you like headmaster and cant afford it, headstart is a clone brand that's a bit cheaper, it's what we use in my bar. (though for my home use, I dont like either. the hash-marks are ******* with how you designed the beer afterall, increasing initial head mostly by blowing all your carbonation out the window)

As with anything commercial hospitality, walk into a hospitality supply shop, bullshit that you're a chef or a bar-manager anywhere, act arrogant, and insist on an industry discount :). It's not like we carry cards around afterall. Never pay sticker price in a hospitality shop, they're ripping you off if so

Couldn't abide the headmaster glasses either. Overcarbed beer just blows the aromatics out quicker it seems.

Cocko said:
You may wanna clean that cone out, mate, looks a bit dirty - you wanna a clean burn...

LOL!!

:lol:
Hahaha hadn't noticed that in the pic til I saw your reply!

I bought a box of these glasses recently for a party. They have all shapes and sizes, etched and non etched.

I couldn't go past them for a $1 a glass and I don't mind the smaller size - less time for the beer to get warm in summer.

Cocko said:
You may wanna clean that cone out, mate, looks a bit dirty - you wanna a clean burn...

LOL!!

:lol:
Good spot. Haven't seen a hashie in years. My tongues unconsciously spitting out hotrocks.

Edit: And fwiw, op shops and $2 shops turn up good cheap glassware.

New_guy said:
Keg King
$25 for 24 headmaster
Yep - bought a box for a party recently. ~$1 a glass is hardly expensive.

post-198-0-04765600-1390988905_thumb.jpg

Yep, nothing like drinking beer from a Vegemite glass. :D

Beer glasses need more shape :ph34r:

whenever I buy some wine or the occasional slab of CPA's from any bottlo, I always hit up the staff for free stuff...thats how I got most of my various glasses (as well as numerous hats, t-shirts, esky bags, bottle openers etc). The staff usually dont care if you're buying the 'special deal' product or not, if you ask and they have something, they will often happily pass it over! My favourite one to drink from is actually a Coopers tulip shaped 375ml glass...but I often just use pint glasses as that means less trips out to the beer fridge on the back deck!

I use pint glasses bought from my local B.I.G. hospitality supplier. Only about $2.50 per glass. Surely that's not expensive? My favourite is the Oxford Pint glass, that's the one with the straight sides rather than the one with the spare tyre like bulge around the middle. I have a similar glass from waggastew etched with his personal insignia, which is also great to drink from.

In my stock I also have various German breweries hefeweizen glasses, and I occasionally use those. The Schöfferhofen is particularly nice, as it has a very fine lip.

Yob said:
Ban...

Random op shops keep my glass collection expanding and I prefer my old school small glass tankard style glasses for consuming from..

Oh yeah and my brewdog and sierra Nevada IPA glasses if I'm feeling fancy ;)

Random op shops glasses are great if you dont mind "Happy 50'th birthday Dad" or "Happy 21'st Wazza" written on the side of your glass.

I prefer to pay the same price for glasses without any writing on them from IKEA.

Albainian said:
whenever I buy some wine or the occasional slab of CPA's from any bottlo, I always hit up the staff for free stuff...thats how I got most of my various glasses (as well as numerous hats, t-shirts, esky bags, bottle openers etc). The staff usually dont care if you're buying the 'special deal' product or not, if you ask and they have something, they will often happily pass it over! My favourite one to drink from is actually a Coopers tulip shaped 375ml glass...but I often just use pint glasses as that means less trips out to the beer fridge on the back deck!
I bet you've got a long nose..........Airs free!!

I was actually quite impressed by the Spielglau IPA glass. Everybody was on about how "it's just a gimmick" etc, and maybe it's purely psychological, but I swear drinking from one beer tastes better than it does from your bog standard pint glass.

Batz, I make a point of stopping in any op shop I see nowadays due to that thread. Best I've scored is a few headmasters and a small boot glass. It's the bloody old bull and the young bull all over again. You can keep your patience, I've got ebay.

The best glass is the one with the beer in it, no matter what shape or size.

I have a range of glasses, headmaster/headstart middies and schooners, brasserie, big wine type 'craft beer' glasses...which are a bit poncy but nice for belgians and the like, some pint mugs for pommie styles and a range of pilsener glasses in various sizes mostly for tasting/sampling with visitors..5 and 7 oz and 4 leffe glasses I scored for $10 bucks of facebook.

Best glass was a Vanuata Tusker brasserie style that had the swirls on the inside and a very rounded bottom, it kept a lovely head and refreshed the aroma every mouthfull as it sloshed around in the glass....2 of them ended up all over the brew cave floor about 2 weks apart....FIL has other 2 from the set, ******* won't let 'em go.

Love the Op Shop, got one next to work, I check it regularly.

Camo6 said:
Batz, I make a point of stopping in any op shop I see nowadays due to that thread. Best I've scored is a few headmasters and a small boot glass. It's the bloody old bull and the young bull all over again. You can keep your patience, I've got ebay.
I could be where you are trying ? Noosa op shops turn up some cool glasses. Gympie not so.

Just how it is around my area.

Batz

we have savers stores in melbourne and the one in brunswick normally has a good selection :icon_offtopic:

Latest posts

Back