Glasses what's best

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went into a random bottle shop yesterday, ie not my local, purchased a long neck of figjam IPA that was half price, win. At the counter saw they had some dodgy craft beer promo glasses, asked what I had to buy to get some and they gave me a pair. WIN, WIN. They're not bad glasses either.

IMAG0768.jpg

Yep just looked at the promo was supposed to buy two six or four packs. Vale IPA and Ballast point big eye IPA were both options. 2 four packs of vale IPA for $25 and a pair of not bad glasses is a pretty good deal.

Most of my glasses came from the Zatec Hops festival, Czech republic.

Every beer you buy you keep the glass, many different breweries there. End up pissed on great beer with a backpack full of different glasses, not a good combo but if you make it home with glass in tack, its a win.....

Beercus

Collecting glasses is kind of fun. I have two 600ml dimples, two Headmaster Schooners, four Headmaster Oxfords, four Pilsner glasses, one wheat beer glass and two plastic pot glasses. Next on my list are regular, pub-style pint glasses.

I picked a box of these up a couple of weekends back since I thought 6 glasses for $5 was a real steal. They helped replace the old, cloudy looking schooner glasses I had acquired during my uni days. As much as I loved them, they needed an upgrade.

Not too bad and I may have to pick some more up at that price..

EDIT: Had the price wrong.

I smashed my newly acquired Bridge Rd Brewers pint glass the other day. Beautiful straight sided thing it was. Worst thing was I was sober. Only tipped it on its side but boy did it explode.

Ikea nonic pints. They are light, easy to clean, not terrible thin but not so fragile pushing your hand in will destroy them. And none of that wanky etching stuff going on.

Bit of an old bump

On a recent trip south I enjoyed a pint of Guinness at a pub in Bathurst. Beer was average but the glass impressed me so much I purchased it for $5.

Believe it is called a Guinness gravity pint glass and it is now the most used in the beer fridge. Good solid glass that feels good in the hand

I lack the skill of posting pictures

Cheers

Headmaster conical (nsw size 425ml or imperial pint if your in sa) schooner glasses here. Good open top on them works well to deliver you all that hop aroma in ipas and pales. I also have a spieglau ipa glass but i think its nothing more than a wank

I've got the headmaster conicals and rate them highly. My only issue is the glass is too thick. I always find beer tastes better from thinner glass for some reason.

WP_000513.jpgAlthough not for every style of beer, mainly drink out of imperial pint size dimple "mugs".

Oh, and an oak barrel port chaser.......it was cold.

Homicidal Teddybear said:
My very favourite beer glasses are Reidel's O-Series Syrah or Cabernet-Merlot wine glasses ironically. Have never found something quite as awesome to drink BIG beers out of, they're great for stouts, porters, and imperial IPAs. Dont knock it till you've tried it :p
OMG, ironic drinking of VB is for hipsters!

Yob said:
They'll get me in ikea when my nuts turn into a vajayjay
I think you're well on your way to IKEA then, as real men do NOT use that term for vulva. Ha ha ha ha.
Plus, you can buy online from IKEA now, by the looks. Never even have to look at the place, but you can still own their glassware, with some mild self-loathing and disgust.
warra48 said:
I use pint glasses bought from my local B.I.G. hospitality supplier. Only about $2.50 per glass. Surely that's not expensive? My favourite is the Oxford Pint glass, that's the one with the straight sides rather than the one with the spare tyre like bulge around the middle. I have a similar glass from waggastew etched with his personal insignia, which is also great to drink from.

In my stock I also have various German breweries hefeweizen glasses, and I occasionally use those. The Schöffehofen is particularly nice, as it has a very fine lip.
We all like a bit of fine lip occasionally, Warra. I have a variety of weizen glassware, as expected, including a dozen Erdinger glasses that I bought for about $20, iirc.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
:unsure:

I had Ikea glasses previously and the glass went cloudy from using in dishwasher. Are they all non-dishwasher safe or is it a mix at Ikea?
A decent beer glass deserves the care of hand-washing. but maybe it's because I have no dishwasher?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Also took the Tulips back to David Jones today, they gave me another set of 2 and let me keep the one good one I had!!! Winning. Now to perhaps just hot wash/rinse by hand from now on maybe, or find a better place to put them in the dishwasher.
As above, you're learning..

I recommend having a look at Aldi for specials, too

I'm a fan of Crown Headmasters for the bar, they were about $50 for a pack of 48 a couple of years ago from the manufacturer (see http://crowncommercial.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage1.tpl&product_id=44&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=281). Shipping can hurt (fortunately mine arrived in a suitcase) but for any brewing groups etc who can put together a small bulk buy it is a cheap way to get a cache of decent glasses.

I also have about 2 dozen nonic pints from a victoria's basement deal a few years ago - they came in 4-packs for about $2 a box so it was a real steal and I loaded up. They look the part when full of a stout or porter - have given away a couple of boxes as gifts.

Aside from displaying my collection of brewery / fine crystal glasses etc, for me the best thing about having run-of-the mill glasses is that cleaning is as simple as dishwasher + PBW :)

I have a vast selection of glasses to choose from, like half a kitchen cupboard full in the house ( much to the good ladys disgust) plus a heap out here in the shed.
My problem is she just loves browsing through thrift shops etc and I tag along behind her, somehow I always find " that " glass that will be the perfect beer glass while I'm wandering about, anyhow a while later she comes out with bugger all and I come out with a couple of cheap beer glasses to add to my collection :rolleyes:
What I do for a good beer glass is get out my little elec engraver (I have also lightly used a hammer drill with a mason drill if engraver wont fit into glass) and just rough up the bottom of the glass a fair bit then rinse it out in warm water.
After I've finished drinking I rinse the glass out in warm water and drain, once every week or so just fill it with warm water, add a few drops iodophor then let the sit for an hour or so, empty and wipe dry with a clean tea towel.
I always have a great head on my beer that clings to the glass all through the beer........ try it

I love the Spiegelau glasses....

they are very thin though, I've broken quite a few... @ $20 a pop it's an expensive habit

I had 4 spiegelau IPA glasses, broke all of them within 6 months.

Waaaaaayyy too flimsy for a klutz like me. Only one of them was dropped, 3 of them broke from small knocks while washing in the sink.

I have 2 of the spieglau IPA glasses but don't use them all the time. They seem to handle the top shelf of the dishwasher fine, much better than if I was to try to wash and dry by hand.

IKEA for 6 each of tulip pint glasses (stemmed and unstemmed), wheat beers glasses and pilsner - all cheap and robust enough, and easy to get replacements (apart from pilsner glass that appears to be discontinued here). Schooners from Target for the same reason

Washed by hand, or just on the rinse cycle in the dishwasher

OK, so I'm a total noob and am not up to speed as the rest of you on beer brewing, the history of beer, or anything else to do with beer really, but I like to drink it.

I'm probably about to break some 500 year old Bavarian brewing rule about what type of vessel you can and can't drink out of, or some such issue, but I have to mention these.

I know they won't show the perfect colour of your beautifully clear home brew, but they are great to drink from.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1461671499.572449.jpg

I bought two of them at K-mart for $6 a piece, and am definitely going back for more. They are copper plated, chill in a jiffy, hold about 500+ ml, and help enhance aroma beautifully. They also stay chilled for a long time.

Not glasses, I know. Not the only thing I drink beer out of, but I highly recommend them for someone who doesn't need to look how beautiful their session beer or darker beer is at every sip.

Let the roasting begin ....

Edit: Typo's

Latest posts

Back