Glad wrap lids

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently started using the glad-wrap method. My fermenter doesnt fit in the brew fridge with the airlock on it. The alternative is to just have glad wrap over the grommet. I figure using glad wrap and the o-ring is actually going to be better than simply throwing glad wrap over the grommet. No issues thus far. Just sanitize as per usual.

I ferment in 20L skinny plastic jerry cans and just throw one layer of Glad Wrap over the small lid hole and use the wives hair tie to hold it over the thread.

Are u people that are still fermenting in the traditional big buckets using one layer of glad wrap or 2???

The sky will fall in and the zombie apocalypse will engulf us all if you use glad wrap.

I've never needed to see my fermentation. I loosely screw the lid on mine. If I'm top cropping it has to come off at some point anyway.

mje1980 said:
The sky will fall in and the zombie apocalypse will engulf us all if you use glad wrap.

I've never needed to see my fermentation. I loosely screw the lid on mine. If I'm top cropping it has to come off at some point anyway.
Ninjas, don't forget the ninjas come and slice up your hop bines.

shaunous said:
I ferment in 20L skinny plastic jerry cans and just throw one layer of Glad Wrap over the small lid hole and use the wives hair tie to hold it over the thread.

Are u people that are still fermenting in the traditional big buckets using one layer of glad wrap or 2???
I use two layers, gives it a bit more stiffness which makes it easier to fold back for dry hopping

I've used glad wrap for years, one layer, no pin holes. If I dry hop I just chuck it and put a new bit on. It's not for everyone but it works for me.

Batz

When He created home brewing, God decreed that the O rings in the lids of fermenters should also be ideal for securing the gladwrap over the fermenters' openings. Moves in mysterious ways.

mje1980 said:
I thought the zombie apocalypse was in 2018 - still plenty of time to go!

On the sterilizing question, if glad wrap was not sterile most of us would be fairly crook, we do wrap food in it.

Batz

"You can't beat looking through the window and seeing you brew ferment"....I think you can, I think a bubbling, animated and audible air lock much more pleasing. It's alive!
I tried it once. Should of known better. The cursing, swearing and crying while trying to get the glad wrap on whilst my wort was exposed. Its a known fact in my house when it comes to glad wrap I've got 2 left hands, we just don't get along. For me its chifful stuff. Should see me wrap a sandwich with it...Jerry Lewis move over. Really, its just a lid, 2 seals and an airlock that have to be cleaned. I can see the benefits, but for me, never again. Well at least not until I get off my "L"'s with gladwrap.

I never understood why people get so excited about the bloody airlock bubbles or lack of. Cling wrap and a rubber band would save some people so much stress.

SJW said:
Cling wrap and a rubber band would save some people so much stress.
And so begins the great kitten cull of 2014.

shaunous said:
I don't use glad wrap with my pail fermenters

It's a simple case of

Rabbit season
Duck season
Rabbit season
Duck season
Rabbit season
Duck season.

Use glad wrap or don't.
Still makes beer....

Using glad wrap gives me such a great feeling. I'm being serious. For me it's like, 'this is awesome, why didn't I start doing it sooner'.
  • I love being able to see the brew. I'm an anxious brewer, and I can see so much better with the wrap.
  • Some lids are hard to get a good seal. I know that a perfect seal is not necessary, but it's so unsatifying! The glad wrap on the other hand billows up nice and taut every time.
  • My wife and kids are not font of a bubbling airlock. Wrap is quiet.
  • Is it just me, or are the brewing aromas dialed back a bit through the wrap? This is good for WAF also.
  • There's less washing up at the end of it. (Major win!).

I use both, my first fermenter is one from the homebrew shop that came with the airlock and predrilled hole, second one is from bunnings and can't be arsed to drill hole and buy fermenter and grommets so it gets the glad wrap.

I use both too. Top shelf of my fridge can hold two 30l bunnings fermentors with gladwrap. Bottom shelf can accomodate airlocks or a blowoff but most of the time it gets the bad boy bubby approach. I'm not articulate enough to define the differences in taste between either method. I hope I can when I switch to stainless FVs though. (Oooooh yeah)

Pls think of the kittens.....all those poor inocent kittens.

26039.jpg

If you have ever seen Bad Boy Bubby.......you will know that kittens & glad wrap dont mix

BadBoyBubbyDVDRip2.gif

Back