Glad Wrap Lid For Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slightly

Reaction score
Can someone please run through the glad wrap lid technique? Any things I need to be careful with, need to make sure I'm doing, etc.?

You put glad wrap over a fermenter lid, secure it with a rubber band (or the o-ring from the lid), and vent it if you like with a few holes.

Who would've thought a glad wrap lid would be a... glad wrap lid?

I didn't say what I need. I said 'Any things I need to be careful with, need to make sure I'm doing, etc.?'

Same as usual; make sure everything is sanitary and there are no big gaps when sealing.

like anything with brewing beer I would say sanitising. never tried the glad wrap method but by the sound of it not much to get your head around, Just make sure everything is sanitised wich would be the under side of glad wrap (not sure if its needed, is glad wrap already sanitised???)

I don't prick any holes, the CO2 permeates through the glad wrap.

Some people use a spray of no-rinse , I don't bother.

It's great being able to see the wort fermenting.

Otherwise, not much else to say really.

To be honest, I completely forgot about that other topic.

Brew low alcohol beers and your memory might improve :rolleyes:

Brew low alcohol beers and your memory might improve :rolleyes:

I spent an hour looking through my old posts this arvo whilst looking for some info and found a heap of topics I 'd forgotten about and also realised i should not post when drinking big beers.

Brad

I spent an hour looking through my old posts this arvo whilst looking for some info and found a heap of topics I 'd forgotten about and also realised i should not post when drinking big beers.

Brad

Well that's fkn typical of you I wouldn't expect anything fkn better

Hang on what number from the case swap was that one I drank ten minutes ago? Jusht chekkin

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't prick any holes, the CO2 permeates through the glad wrap.

This does not sound right? Are you sure the CO2 permeates the glad wrap? Or does it leak out under the rubber band?

Happy to stand corrected, and learn something, but if Glad wrap is some type of semi permeable membrane, then why would it permeate CO2 and not other atmospheric gasses, N2, O2 Etc?

Even if it did permeate CO2, the rate would have to be massive to allow the fermentation gasses to escape at the rate they are generated?

I always pierce the glad wrap and even then it balloons up like a big dome.

My 2c worth.
apply the film tightly, piecre a single hole with a needle neer the edge of the fermenter - that way any condensation will not pool near the hole, rather it pools in the middle, that is if you have it in the fridge.

This is a great way to reduce the overall height of your fermenter if you are tring to fit it inot a small fridge for Temp control.

Fear_n_Loath

Never pricked holes in it myself. Figure that defeats the purpose of a sanitary lid. Gas escapes as it balloons up. Use the rubber ring from the fermenter lid to seal it.

Well that's fkn typical of you I wouldn't expect anything fkn better

Hang on what number from the case swap was that one I drank ten minutes ago? Jusht chekkin

:eek: :eek:

:lol: With language like that it was probably number 4 :ph34r:

A hole is fine, since the fermenter will have postive pressure and so fermenting by-products will continually escape through the hole, no chance of reverse flow - during fermentation.

Without a hole, I gues if the gass "burps" out through the rubber band without popping or causing the glad wrap to be dislodged, then that would be fine and serve the same purpose.

If I lager after fermentation then I also would use glad wrap without a hole, but in this scenario I expect no gas transfer at all.

Fear_n_Loath.

Forget it guys, by now the OP is probably passed out :ph34r:

Personally i unwrap a bit of glad wrap, cut it and put a big elastic band around it. Used to poke a pin hole in it, but found that to be a bit too much work.

Gladwrap can and will blow off in small lid fermenters ... repeatedly. :angry:

On the third day at 18 degrees with S04/US05 combo and I've finally got the fecker to SIT DOWN!

Is ginger (just a hint) some kind of super yeast nutrient...? :blink: I'd really like to drop my dry hops in there.

Oh well, time for cleanup number three.

IMG_0968.jpg

Apart from the reason I don't see the need to, one other reason I don't prick a hole in my clingfilm lids is that invariably when fermentation tails off and pressure is reduced the bulging will cease and any condensation that drips on top will have an easy route into my beer. Usually condensation isn't a problem, but when there's a fridge full of fermenters even getting a hydrometer sample can drip on top of a fermenter below, so I just won't risk introducing foreign muck this way. The gas can find its own way out without a pinhole and in my experience, invariably it does. If you're getting trouble blowoffs then loosen the band by using pipecleaners or string.
My 2c... :icon_cheers:

Back