Glad Wrap Lid For Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started using glad wrap, I didn't realise there were so many different ways of using it!

For me, single layer, un-sanitised, lid seal used to hold in place, no-pin hole

+1

Why double up? you cant see through.
Why pin hole? the gas escapes regardless.

I've got 4 fermenters going at the moment all with cling wrap... can see exactly what's going on.

I recently lost one of my o-rings from one of the lids, so i just sprayed some starsan solution around the top third or so of the fermenter and the cling wrap sticks to it quite nicely... but the o-ring is definitely more secure, especially if there's a mad krausen pushing up

Why double up? you cant see through.

That's not even the main reason.

When you do a single layer is works like cling wrap is supposed to. It perfectly stretches over the hole with no wrinkles. When you put the second layer on it never goes on properly. It can't stretch over the original layer because it clings to it too easily, so the combined layers work more like regular plastic with no cling affect.

I honestly believe two layers will be worse at keeping out nasties than one layer.

That's not even the main reason.

When you do a single layer is works like cling wrap is supposed to. It perfectly stretches over the hole with no wrinkles. When you put the second layer on it never goes on properly. It can't stretch over the original layer because it clings to it too easily, so the combined layers work more like regular plastic with no cling affect.

I honestly believe two layers will be worse at keeping out nasties than one layer.

Good Point. Theres no need to double up if the cling film is wide enough. I suspect people double up to get more width?

Good Point. Theres no need to double up if the cling film is wide enough. I suspect people double up to get more width?

That's why I used to do it but now I actually find it's easier with a single layer. With a single layer I get the rubber band on and have about an inch left either side. With two layers the second layer wouldn't allow the original layer to stretch the same way, and I found it really hard to have any overlap. Of course the second layer was perpendicular so I still had some sense of overlap, but I don't think it was a true seal in the way you get a sort of true seal with a single layer.

Either way I recommend people that have only ever tried two layers to give one layer a go.

Latest posts

Back