Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyinhi

Reaction score
Guys,

I have picked up a GB can from my LHBS, I want to make a non alcohol batch and whack it in a keg, I believe the addition of a little sugar, yeast additive and yeast in the no alcohol version is for priming for bottles/kegging only, If i carb with co2, does the brew need the yeast and additive? (i.e. does the kit have sugars that need consuming that will change the flavour)
Also, if the yeast is used how long before the GB is ready for dispensing? :icon_cheers:

If you're carbing with co2 then you don't need to add the yeast (unless you like the falvour it adds).

I don't believe the GB kits have any real fermentables, this is why you can do a non-alcoholic version by just adding the very small ammount bottling sugar, if the tin had fermentables then you'd likely end up with bottle bombs.

If you're bottle conditioning then usually 2-3 weeks in the bottles is enough to carbonate them if they're sitting at 18 deg or so.

I know the Coopers GB kits have fermentables. Can't say for any of the others.

flyinhi, it sounds like you might be better served by getting some Buderim's Ginger refresher or Bundaberg Ginger Beer cordial if you're hoping to avoid using yeast completely.

Cheers,
I reckon I might use the sugar and yeast primer, and just push it with the co2, rather than have a crook flavour in the event that the yeast is required for flavour development

Yeast does nothing for true non alcoholic GB.
If you are going to keg, simply make a GB cordial that tastes good and then carbonate it.

Latest posts

Back