Ginger Beer - Stalled?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it's the go. I'll drop into my LHBS on the weekend and get some!

Basic brewing radio either yeast 1 or yeast 2 is worth a listening to. A guy had the same problem on it

A couple of things:
Did you measure your OG or just rely on brewmates prediction, I just plugged your recipe into beersmith with an OG of 1.048 and an estimated FG of 1.007.

Have you calibrated your hydrometer in distilled water at 20C.

Your OG is thirteen points out by my calculation which would put you FG spot on at 1.007.

Happy to be corrected

Didn't measure the OG, just relied on BrewMate.

I'm pretty confident the hydrometer works as it's been fine for multiple batches of beer (made at the same time).

Not sure if I should:

1) rack onto some more fermentibles with more yeast;
2) pitch a third batch of yeast in the primary;
3) underprime and bottle in PETs; or
4) kill the lawn with it.

Open to suggestions / votes!

In future I'd be taking a reading of OG and not relying on brew mate, a lot of factors can influence OG. I'd also calibrate the hydrometer if I were you, accurate measurement is important

Couldn't you prove/disprove things systimatically?

For instance you have shown that it's not the yeast by repitching, how have you proven that it hasn't simply run out of sugar? couldn't you take some of your batch into a smaller vessel and add more sugars to see if you get fermentation? yopu would only need 500ml or so in a sanitised jar without adding extra yeast, if after a few days you get nothing then try extra yeast in the jar. You need to take a scientific approach to it.

Hey DannyboyDS,

I followed the steps outlined in a post on here: 'has my beer stalled'.

I did the rapid fermentation test with a sanitized corona bottle and some glad wrap. It didn't move the SG.

Check post #1.

Cheers!!

if you cant get the brew down any further and if you are going to bottle this
,champagne bottles may be the go as well as
under priming and leaving more than normal head space.

Also open them when really cold(less likely to create a fountain when it comes out)
i would halve the maturing time as well so the don't over gas
your standard beer capper has a champagne bell option
that you can buy from most Brew shops
cheers

Hey Steven,

I bottled a few days ago in 750ml PET bottles with only one carb drop instead of two; and leaving a bit more headspace. I figure I can release pressure by opening the PET bottles if need be.

Hope it tastes good after all this!

Latest posts

Back