Ginger Beer Recipe - Scratch Brew No Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very keen to know the outcome of this one, Wolfy. Price of ginger is the only thing stopping me from putting down GBs more often (and at the moment I've doing one at least every 3rd brew).

Mr Matt S04 isn't dry more it leaves a dusty flavour in beers. Some brewers taste other don't.

After noting the price of fresh ginger, when I saw 1kg jar of crushed ginger (90% ginger) at Costco, for a bit over $5 I though it was worth a try.
ginger_jar2.jpg

Also saves the time/effort of crushing/chopping/squeezing the fresh stuff too - don't know what it tastes like in GB yet however, as it's only been fermenting for a week now.

Nice one Wolfy keep us posted. Be good to know in a pinch that it is an option!

Chap Chap

I toyed with the idea of using that but doesn't it contain oil?

A Gb based on Chappo's recipe is on the cards. Looking to make my own super dark and stormys over winter (but with better rum than bundy).

I toyed with the idea of using that but doesn't it contain oil?
No oil, just a couple of preservatives which would be nice not to have:
ginger (90%), water, food acid (260), preservatives (233, 202), vegatable gum (416)
260 - Acetic acid, 223 - Sodium metabisulphite, 202 - Potassium sorbate, 416 - Xanthan gum

Both preservatives are not uncommon and will harm yeast (or yeast growth), however I'm not sure what quantities/dilution you'd need before it was a problem.
I used 250g in 18L and fermentation has shown no ill-effects.

I wouldn't think that we want those preservitives in our 'beers'. I know I don't want that stuff in mine. I don't really want to eat that if I can get fresh Ginger. But I suppose in a push....

just had a thought. anyone used galangal in their ginger beer? could add a longer lasting dimension if you used say 3/4 ginger: 1/4 galangal....

I have used processed ginger before just do a small boil an the oil & gum came out on top of the break . Just skimmed off the top.
Had no adverse affect on ferment or finished product and at $1.70 per 300g jar was well worth it IMHO.

just had a thought. anyone used galangal in their ginger beer? could add a longer lasting dimension if you used say 3/4 ginger: 1/4 galangal....

I've considered it but the only thing that puts me off is that I've never used it in cooking so I'm not certain what qualities it will impart. Might give it a go on the next one.

Galangal gives a beautiful ginger flavour that's maybe a bit sharper and sweeter at the same time (in cooking - not brewed with it). The only drawback is that it is a mega pain to peel but subbing out some ginger for galangal would be well worth a crack.

Galangal gives a beautiful ginger flavour that's maybe a bit sharper and sweeter at the same time (in cooking - not brewed with it). The only drawback is that it is a mega pain to peel but subbing out some ginger for galangal would be well worth a crack.

Yep gotta agree with Man-testicle ( :ph34r: ) here.

I reckon I will give it a shot on the next brew of GB. I think it has a lot to offer.

Chap Chap

That's Mr Mantesticle to you Fappo.

Womantesticle is not something I've played around with incidentally.

Yep gotta agree with Man-testicle ( :ph34r: ) here.

I reckon I will give it a shot on the next brew of GB. I think it has a lot to offer.

Chap Chap

of cause it would work why wouldnt it? But it would then be a Galangal Beer! Maybe throw (not to many) kaffir lime leaves in aswell!

Wikipedia tells me it is not entirely like ginger. A bit citrus, earthy and soapy(!). Not sure whether I'll do it now.

If you're going to use kaffir be sure to use fresh. I had eight large dried leaves in an hour boil for my last batch and cannot notice them in the slightest.

I think they prefer the term 'conjoined ginger' these days, you brute!

hmmm maybe chinese bulk buy :lol: :ph34r:
I've started growing it. Can't get my hands on hop rhyzomes, so I'll do the next best thing :p Plus it isn't a bad looking plant in the garden.

But will be interesting to see the results from the processed ginger as thats pretty cheap.

Well I'm glad I suggested galangal. Just need to find some and find some cheap Ginger

Back