Ginger Beer Recipe - Scratch Brew No Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm glad I suggested galangal. Just need to find some and find some cheap Ginger
Think you may have to wait for that.
Went shopping today, Dandenong Market, Clayton and Springvale, cheapest ginger was $14.99, most expensive was $34.99.
The only 'good' news is that the expensive stuff looked a bit different and might be new-season, so sometime in the not-so-distant future we may find it at a decent price.

was in mcwerters on friday, 500g of ginger for $3.99 a kilo. bought 2 kg myself, got a few GB recipes to do.

Think you may have to wait for that.
Went shopping today, Dandenong Market, Clayton and Springvale, cheapest ginger was $14.99, most expensive was $34.99.
The only 'good' news is that the expensive stuff looked a bit different and might be new-season, so sometime in the not-so-distant future we may find it at a decent price.
Wolf man. Where was it $15 a kilo, that's still $5 cheaper than anywhere I've been able to find

In Brisbane ginger is a ridiculous price as there are hectares and hectares of it on the Sunny Coast. Like Scoundrel says, independent fruit shops like that Chinese place are the place to look for it.

All the indepandant ones here are also $20-30 a kilo. Just no relief

Wolf man. Where was it $15 a kilo, that's still $5 cheaper than anywhere I've been able to find
Dandenong market and Springvale both had at least one shop/stall selling it at that price (all independant type green grocers).
But I'm not sure it would not be worth your drive (unless you buy heaps) especially since the quality of the cheap stuff was very average.

all of these recipes are sounding good, im gunna have to give them a go!

just put on my ginger ninja in the fermenting fridge

1.0 kg peeled grated ginger ( food processor with 1L water )
2 hot as shit chillis (one of grandpa's fookin' 'ot crossbreeds)
1.0kg brown sugar
400gm dextrose (normally 500gm but ran out)
juice of 2 limes ( throw spent limes into boil as well)
1.5 tblsp vanilla extract (real stuff not imitation crap)
l

fermenting with 2 x pkts T-58 yeast (have another 7 pkts to get through, don't go to the brewshop pissed.)

might rack to secondary in 4 - 5 days and dry hop 1oz. cascade.

big ginger bite to hide alcohol, hence the name ginger ninja (so chappo can stop having mental images of the ranga in a far too tight ninja jumpsuit.

The colonial fresh market at Westfield Doncaster, Melbourne currently has excellent ginger at $10/kg. It is beside Coles on the bottom floor.

VIVA SCRATCH BREW GB!!

WE WILL NOT BE SUPRESSED!!!

Come on fella's time to give up the cans and go all fresh? B)

Perhaps you're just not a good enough brewer to make the tins work, Chappo?

The colonial fresh market at Westfield Doncaster, Melbourne currently has excellent ginger at $10/kg. It is beside Coles on the bottom floor.
Great detective work there mate. Champ. Will venture down there somestage this week and collect Ginger. Don't suppose they had galangal? I would assume not. Full Ginger will do.

Maybe I should throw some rye in it to keep maple happy!

havent made it down to shoppo yet to grab that $10 ginger, but went to a different coles today (croydon) and it was $13.60 a kilo! there was about 1.6kg of nice fresh ginger then about 600g of crap. i grabbed the 1.6kg and will be making ginger beer probably tomorrow night. ashame there wasnt enough for a double batch. the market seems to up the arse and all over the place. the independant 'market grocer' in the same set of shops was selling ginger for $26 a kilo.. market madness!

will throw 2 birdseye chillies into the boil also.

havent made it down to shoppo yet to grab that $10 ginger, but went to a different coles today (croydon) and it was $13.60 a kilo! there was about 1.6kg of nice fresh ginger then about 600g of crap. i grabbed the 1.6kg
Next time harass the shop-attendants and they can most likely fetch you more nice-fresh stuff from 'out the back'.
I have even pre-ordered ginger from a local supermarket; rang them a few days in advance to let them know I wanted a few kg so they got some in fresh on their next order.

i followed chappo's ginger beer recipe yesterday with a couple of minor changes for a half batch,

Recipe

.6kg Fresh Ginger
1kg Brown Sugar
.5kg Iron Bark Honey
2 Cinnamon Sticks
3 Large Bush Lemons
3 Limes
1 Chilli

Yeast Safale S-05

my SG is 1062.

my question is, im wanting to finish this on the sweet side, when should i finish the ferment? my concern is creating bottle bombs because i will be bottling into glass stubbies, i will CC for a few days but am worried about how much priming sugar i should use considering the risidual sugar left behind from finishing the ferment early.

any advise would be appreciated,

cheers coz

btw the sample i took for the SG reading tasted really promising!

Next time harass the shop-attendants and they can most likely fetch you more nice-fresh stuff from 'out the back'.
I have even pre-ordered ginger from a local supermarket; rang them a few days in advance to let them know I wanted a few kg so they got some in fresh on their next order.
I did harrass the fruit guy and he told me that the tray of Ginger they got that morning was the nice stuff and that basically I'd wiped them out! Will go check them out Tuesday to see if they restocked.

I know Chappo does differently, cozmocracker, but I reckon you're just asking for bottle bombs by not fermenting it out fully. I'm sure it took Chappo a few batches to work out the sweet spot to do this and he'd have lost a few on the way. I'd seriously be looking at lactose or backsweetening on serving before thinking about finishing primary in the bottle.

+1 to what bum said. Same issues constantly raised in cider topics also. U can search them for the discussions

now...
Peeling 1.6kg of Ginger - sux
peeling with a spoon - rocks (great tip manticle)
hands drenching in Ginger essence and not coming out - undecided as to whether it's good or bad.

All prepped for tomorrow.

ok a couple of things,

firstly, i pitched an 11g packet of US 05 saturday arvo and i just checked the fermenter and theres no sign of fermentation, im a little worried, what should i do? i did forget the yeast nutrient.

and if it ever gets going i will let it ferment all the way through as suggested above, no bottle bombs for me thank you very much!

Back