Ginger Beer Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatbreaker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had a kit ginger beer in the fermenter since 3/1/14, I generally let Ginger Beer go a little longer to make sure it's completely fermented out and to avoid bottle bombs.

I took it off the yeast cake about a week or so ago. I had "dry hopped" birds eye chilly (after soaking them in sanitizer), and pulled them out after about 2 weeks also.

Anyway the concern for infection is per the following:
  • I've got some collection of... something sitting on top of the ginger beer (See pics)
  • The air lock is still bubbling, not very strong or often, but maybe once every one or two minutes. This has usually stopped by now. (S-04 Yeast)
  • The Ginger Beer itself tastes fine, and there's no bad smell coming out, so I'm not too sure what to make of it.
So is this infected, or will it be fine? Depending on the answer I'm considering bottling today as it "should" be ready.

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo.jpg

Just for completeness sake, I made the assumption it was an infection and decided to take only what was on the bottom of the barrel and left the top 3-5 litres of whatever that stuff was.

I've bottled them up, and put them under a towel in a safe spot just in case - Fingers crossed it'll turn out ok. :lol:

Try posting in the infection thread - lots of people will see that...
I don't know what ginger beer looks when / after fermenting so I won't comment. What did it look like before you moved it?

S04 however, can be a shifty bugger. It always goes to sleep really quickly for me and doesn't wake back up without a real good stir.

Back