Ginger Beer ABV question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMTmike

Reaction score
Hello to you all.
This is my first time brewing GB (mangrove jacks) and I'm curious as to what ABV I "should" get.
I used 1kg of dextrose as per the advice from my local brew supplier..Should I expect rocket fuel or more of a mid strength?.

Mike

You should expect anything in the ballpark of 3.5 to 4% depending on the kit used and amount of water added.
Cheers BB

Cheers,Bill.
I used the mangrove jacks kit with 23L of water.My hydrometer hasn't shown up in the post yet so I didn't take reading from the start.Will this affect the brew in any way?.

Okay! Your pretty much running blind without the hydrometer, so hopefully it turns up for the end reading.

Firstly- Ginger beers and Ciders are slower at fermenting out completely.
I would definitely recommend having the hydrometer handy for these styles.

Secondly- If using an airlock in the lid of your fermenter do not rely on it to gauge that your brew has finished.

It should take around 3 weeks for it to finish out, this in turn takes us back to the hydrometer and making sure You get 2 consecutive readings over 2 days (1.001 to 1.010) if my memory serves me correctly.

Oh! And welcome to the forum and the slippery slope of homebrewing

Hydrometer will definitely be here by the time fermentation as finished so I'll be able too take the final readings.
On the MJ's pouch it says that fermentation should take 8 days.however,I'm aware that gb and ciders do take a while longer than beer to finish up . it's got me wondering why on earth they say 8 days when in fact it's closer to 4 weeks.

Some packaging states to brew above 25deg....that would make a 7 day ferment possible:blink:

I just kegged m/j gb pouch kit last week.
from memory it went down to 1.006 with dry emzyme plus us 05 instead of kit yeast started at 1.038 that's about 4.3 % abv.
i.m disappointed with the result to tell the truth it tastes like a ginger flavoured beer i'll let it age and sample till I need the keg for better stuff then ditch it
my 2 cents
ken

fermented @18 deg I forgot to add

Next time ditch the dex and just use 2kg of raw sugar, let go for 3 weeks and that will reduce that beer flavour a bit. If you want to get rid of it all together then a month or two in a seconday will do it.

Latest posts

Back