GF help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andypaskin03

Reaction score
Hi im fairly new to all grain, im looking to attempt to make a Corona style that is gluten free. I hoping to substitute millet and buckwheat ( unmalted) for the barley. Would anyone have any advice or help that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Andy

I came here expecting to try and help you with your girl friend issues. But i dont know much about gluten free sorry :p

Was that supposed to be helpful neo?

You know things like coeliacs disease can lead to cancer, yes?

Was not suppose to be helpful at all. Just thought the title was funny when i saw it on the front page.

I'm sure he would have assumed the same

The amount of shit people get about genuine dietary issues makes me doubt it.

Sorry - my mum's a coeliac and I'm currently on painkillers so maybe I need to lighten up. OP can speak for him/herself

There was a guy on here from NZ a while back that was exclusively providing gluten free ingredients, I'll see if I can find out more. I think there is also an AHB member called millet man (?) don't know how active he is but I remember stumbling upon some threads when I was trying to make some GF beers for a mate.

I made a pale ale with red sorghum and it wasn't very good, had a kind of weird taste to it.

manticle said:
The amount of shit people get about genuine dietary issues makes me doubt it.
Sorry - my mum's a coeliac and I'm currently on painkillers so maybe I need to lighten up. OP can speak for him/herself
And just realised why you wrote what you did, Neo.
Forgive me for being tetchy mate.

Yours was a silly pun that didn't need my grump.

Im already making white sorgum extract lager and pale ale. I have some alpha and beta emalyse to hopefully extract some fermentable sugars from the millet and buckwheat.

Well I'm not a coeliac, but im in a more vague position, because I have IBS.
An unfortunately I have a form of IBS that they cannot prove which foods cause it, so its unable to be managed with diet.
I'd love to live in a world where i could just skip certain foods that make me sick. Would be heaven. But i just have to have a normal diet
and deal with the consequences.

As for the gluten free info, a lot of people seem to use Sorghum. Corona clones often have rice in there as well. So that could be worth a shot.
As for the grains that are gluten free in general,

• Rice, Cassava, Corn (maize), Soy, Potato, Tapioca, Beans, Sorghum,Quinoa,Millet, Buckwheat groats (also known as kasha),Arrowroot
  • Amaranth, Teff, Flax, Chia, Yucca, Gluten-free oats
As for yeasts, Danstar and fermentis dry yeast strains are certified gluten free.

Im sure someone else will pipe up to hopefully help you out with a recipe.

All good manticle, It was a completely useless post, you were right. But I had no idea what "GF" would have been in relation to brewing.
My post above hopefully resolves my uselessness this time of night :p

Not AG, but there are quite a few places that sell GF beer kits (I believe Mangrove Jack's make a range). Might be worth investigating if you don't have any luck with all grain options.

JD

Neo__04 said:
All good manticle, It was a completely useless post, you were right. But I had no idea what "GF" would have been in relation to brewing.
My post above hopefully resolves my uselessness this time of night :p
I assumed Grain Father but opened it to see if anyone had made a joke that he needed help with the ladies.

andypaskin03 said:
Hi im fairly new to all grain, im looking to attempt to make a Corona style that is gluten free. I hoping to substitute millet and buckwheat ( unmalted) for the barley. Would anyone have any advice or help that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Andy

Hi Andy,
Also being a celiac I have also been looking for a carina substitute as it was the beer that helped me get diagnosed many moons back. If you find one let's chat lol. I have been doing many all grain recipes (google grants gluten free home brew) using buckwheat millet and sorghum liquid extract. I have not tried as it's hard to figure out the right balance with the bitterness / sourness ect. Pm me if you want to swap some recipes ect the pale ales are great but I am looking for an asahi recipe.
Cheers and always remember a beer is better shared [emoji6].
Regards,
Azza @azzasciderhouserules.

Thanks for your reply, certinaly will keep in touch i had a fairly sucessfull run of a G/F all grain using millet, buckwheat and flaked corn. Ill pm you.
Thanks Andy

I feel for you with the flak you cop, it's just that with the hipsters getting into it we are all being driven mad by imaginary intolerances. I probably would have made a similar crack (and in fact if I knew you in person still would.)

I was actually diagnosed with IBS before it was trendy, but the S in it stands for syndrome, which means it is a collection of symptoms with no single known cause. In my case both diet and stress trigger it. I can't eat KFC (no great loss,) but found that if I avoid mixing in the yeast in the bottom of my home brew (and now now I am kegging) it thankfully is OK.

I'm not an expert on coeliac disease, but I believe not all gluten is the problem and in fact it is mostly wheat gluten? Maybe try combining clarity ferm and a stepped mash with ingredients such as flaked rice, oats and corn?

Oh, and Neo. Try a good Chinese doctor - it is more about imbalance of food types than avoiding them all together.

mstrelan said:
I assumed Grain Father but opened it to see if anyone had made a joke that he needed help with the ladies.
Same here.

But now that I'm here I'm interested in whether people are making all grain gluten free beer (and where they get the grains from). A friend has been making gluten free beer from those pouches of goop, but I'm hoping to steer them down the path of all grain.

kaiserben said:
Same here.

But now that I'm here I'm interested in whether people are making all grain gluten free beer (and where they get the grains from). A friend has been making gluten free beer from those pouches of goop, but I'm hoping to steer them down the path of all grain.
I don't think you can by malted gluten free grains.

The guys at Obrien are malting it themselves. Maybe they are willing to sell malt? Ask Millet Man maybe?

Latest posts

Back