Getting Sick Of Tipping Beer Out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old thread i know, but my outcome is:-
My sanitation was not up to scratch, and it did not show through untill substansial lag times created by low temp fermentation.
I had the following:-
Crud under lid oring (normally clean every 2nd or third batch) practise now rectified.
Crud behind tap seal. Same procedure. Now clean each time.

How do i know this, same enviornment, same routine. Just tried the 4th batch after tipping 3 batches from the same fermentor & it is nice beer.
I also noted a complete clean on the sheet i put with the batch in the cupboard.

Sorry i wasted so much of your time guys.

Jamie1, you haven't wasted any person's time. Asking questions is one way to improve your brewing. You are not unique when it comes to these aspects of cleaning. Many people have been guilty of being lax when cleaning fermenters. It's good to see that you have rectified these aspects of your cleaning process. Also, don't be afraid to break apart fermenter taps to clean them well. It is also better to replace an old tap that's seen better days than potentially compromise a brew.

I once saw a fermenter tap that had been used so many times that the entire tap was brown and had become brittle enough for it to snap in two. Apparently it was the first time he had ever taken the tap out of the fermenter. He was horrified at the prospect of spending a couple dollars to replace the tap. You can imagine the crud behind the tap. Not to mention the condition of the fermenter itself.

Back