Getting Fridge To Run Lower Temps.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
i am trying to get my head around a temp fridge controller, if you turn a fridge down to minimum it will achieve around 4 to 5 degrees,approx, now if you get a fridgemate and wire that up with the fridge plug going into the fridgemate and the other side from the fridgemate into the wall plug i cant see no matter how low you set the temp it still cant go lower than the internal thermostat, am i correct in this assumption.

fergi

i am trying to get my head around a temp fridge controller, if you turn a fridge down to minimum it will achieve around 4 to 5 degrees,approx, now if you get a fridgemate and wire that up with the fridge plug going into the fridgemate and the other side from the fridgemate into the wall plug i cant see no matter how low you set the temp it still cant go lower than the internal thermostat, am i correct in this assumption.

fergi

Yes that is correct. To get temps lower than the factory thermostat allows, you would need to fit the fridgemate in place of the original thermostat. It would probably be easier and better to use a freezer with a fridgemate.

This is true. You'll need to override the fridge's thermostat to achieve a lower temperature. This is quite simple if you know what your doing as all wires are exposed behind the fridge. Essentially what you need to do is wire the fridge's compressor directly into your temperature controller, something I've been considering myself.

Should be fairly easy with a non cyclic fridge. Frost Free can be a PITA. Fridges with knackered thermostats can get really cold so all you need to do is bypass the thermostat and you should be in business. Disclaimer from another thread. If you are not competent with wiring diagrams and circuits then do not tamper with it yourself.

Yes that is correct. To get temps lower than the factory thermostat allows, you would need to fit the fridgemate in place of the original thermostat. It would probably be easier and better to use a freezer with a fridgemate.
+1
Unless there is a really good reason why you want to play with the wiring of a fridge, I'd suggest you find a freezer that fits the bill.

my ferm fridge is the single door with internal top freezer compartment style,by removing the freezer door and using a stc 1000 controler[setting fridge controler to minimum]I can get down to 1*c for crash chilling,for a two door top freezer type you could carfully drill holes in the freezer base[between the cooler chanels]and you can get down to 1*c

Back