German Pretzels (Bretzels)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to bump an old thread and ask if any one knows where I can get some food grade lye from?, looking to use it for making candi syrup

Chinese grocers? I have seen 'Lye Water' there. Not sure if it's the same thing.

It's used to get that super crackly skin on roast pork belly.

Yeah I had read that somewhere, I'll have to give it a try

For those still wondering where to get food grade lye. Analysis grade NaOH is available from your local chemistry & laboratory supplier. I know this because I happen work for one in Hobart (I won't mention the business name, because that might violate forum rules, but Google is your friend)! You can ask for Merck part number 1.06498.0500 (500g) and will cost about $20. Your local lab supply is also a great place to look for pH meters, yeast starter flasks, stir plates, and many other homebrew oddities...

Disclaimer: this is "analysis grade" rather than "food grade". Purely semantics, but you've been warned. However, it has Kosher certification which means your Jewish Rabi thinks it's just fine! I'll be testing it out this weekend, time permitting.

Cool - can the average pleb order from those places OK? Thought they might have shut that down due to the amateur pharmacists.

Here's some I prepared earlier, like two years earlier using lab grade NaOH.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1458206693.053336.jpg

Batz said:
Some people expect them to be little crunchy things like you buy in the supermarket.

They sell the fresh ones here for $1.00 each, they do me a deal on a couple of dozen.
Hey Batz, is this bakery still making Bretzels? I'm getting married in September and looking to buy some for the post ceremony and late night snacks. Cheapest I can find are $2 each and are only part baked. I'd assume they have gone up in price since your post but hopefully not double.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back