Geletine Finnings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannybzr

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I am about to add geletine finnings to my beer which has just reached 1010.

What I wanted to know, is: The packet the contains the geletine says "add the contents to 100ml of boiling water(all sterile etc).

what I wanted to know is, do I need to let the geletine cool before adding to the fermenter or should I add it as boiling water?

Also, should I give it a light stir with a sterile spoon?

I'm assuming that I also take the lid off the fermenter and just poor them in there and replace the lid once added with airlock added...

Cheers, in advance.!

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I am about to add geletine finnings to my beer which has just reached 1010.

What I wanted to know, is: The packet the contains the geletine says "add the contents to 100ml of boiling water(all sterile etc).

what I wanted to know is, do I need to let the geletine cool before adding to the fermenter or should I add it as boiling water?

No need to let it cool, toss it in. It'll cool in no time flat, and make sfa difference to the temp of the brew.

Also, should I give it a light stir with a sterile spoon?

yes, but dont kick up the sediment at the bottom of the fermenter. ie, don't thrash it like a british nanny.

I'm assuming that I also take the lid off the fermenter and just poor them in there and replace the lid once added with airlock added...

yep.

Cheers, in advance.!

My method is to boil water and allow to cool for a bit. I've heard that 100 degree water can denature the protein (although I'm sure cooling to 90 will still denature pretty much any protein you could name) so while I do it I reckon it's probably unnecessary.

If you cool too much it becomes jelly lumps. Make sure you dissolve it in the water first or the jelly lumps will manifest themselves in the bottom of your beer which can be a bit weird.

Stir lightly and add the finings gently (close to the surface, minimal splashing).

My method is to add finings to 100ml of boiling water and also a teaspoon or two of sugar, this was on the advice of my local home brew shop.
I then vigorously stir until everything is dissolved, or as close as you can get, and then just pour in a circle into the fermenter. If you feel like it, give a very light stir in fermenter with sterile spoon, but not so hard that you disturb the trub in the bottom.

I'm sure there are other methods, but this has always worked for me, and my beers have always been crystal clear.

My method is to boil water and allow to cool for a bit. I've heard that 100 degree water can denature the protein (although I'm sure cooling to 90 will still denature pretty much any protein you could name) so while I do it I reckon it's probably unnecessary.

If you cool too much it becomes jelly lumps. Make sure you dissolve it in the water first or the jelly lumps will manifest themselves in the bottom of your beer which can be a bit weird.

Stir lightly and add the finings gently (close to the surface, minimal splashing).
Pretty much same as me...just didn't want to go there, girlfriend... :lol:

I let mine cool to the point where it's still hot enough to not cause lumps, but only just.....and this is something that takes practice. But imo, it does give a better result.

Thanks all for the super fast advice, back on track again.... Cheers all...

Biff it in and put the lid on quick BUT NOT air tight because if you do, and you use an air lock, it will draw air back into the fermenter and thus air lock fluid into your beer. Physics sorry it can't be avoided unless you just wait 5 mins before you tighten the lid. Even if you have sterile water or what ever in your airlock you don't want it the chance of that in your beer at this late stage.

Some stir some don't. Some I have some I haven't. The difference is not noticeable to me thus far.

purely "my" experience follows:
ideally the gelatin should be added to cold water to let it sort of rehydrate then hot water should be added, this is fine for large scale but for 25 litres is a pain in the glass, so I add about 5gm to a about 150ml of hot tap water dissolve as best i can then top up the schooner with more hot tap water stirring all the while (boiling water will affect the bloom and thus the fining) the other thing is that gelatin seems to work best in chilling beer so i might hold my [ale] at 5c for a day or three add the gelatin with a bit of a gentle stir then start the crash chill to sub zero. just. adding very hot gelatine solution to very cold beer can cause odd effects it has happened to me which leead to the strange observation, no wonder some girls dom't.....
again only my experience

Just added it in and made the lid air tight and the fermentation has slow started again which is a good sign because there was about one day or so left before bottling

I have always boiled water and let cool until I can just put me finger in it with out scalding. Added 2 teaspoons of gelatin and racked beer whilst waiting for gelatin to "Bloom" then added warm water mixture to freshly racked beer. Crash chill 5 days later, bottle and 6 weeks later wonderfully clear beer,

Works for me anyway.
Drewy

Latest posts

Back