Gelatin, force carbonating

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skb

Reaction score
I have been look around the web and have not been able to find an answer to a combination question. I am thinking of :

1) Transferring from my fermenter to the keg after cold crashing
2) Immediately adding gelatine to help clear
3) immediately do a "rapid force carb" which is basically me shaking the keg while at a stupid pressure to carbonate in 15 minutes
4) Then let settle for 2 days to have the gelatine clear the beer (but basically post carbonation).

Is there any reason this will not work .... I want to know as I would love a fully carbonated clear beer in 48-72 hours ? Or am I missing something

Stephen

No reason it won't work. Might be clearer in 5-7 days time, but 2-3 days settling will still result in a clearer beer than normal. Bottoms up!

You might find that the first few pours are gelatin sludge.....

thanks guys that is a "go for me"

I,ve tried with the same ambition in mind. If the beer is cold already then its ok. I have racked into keg and impatiently force carbed by rolling the keg at high pressure but both time not so good for flavor (when done warm). After experimenting over time my process now is to rack from primary (no cold crash, save the effort). Into keg, add finings, dry hop sock, Oak, if you want, or not. No rolling to carbonate! just sit it in the fridge and connect it to 12 psi (drinkable in 5 days) or crank the pressure on that keg to ~30psi and drinkable in 3 days.
BUT! all experiments end the same, as in, the beer is best after a week and gets betterer with more aging. Aging is something that is speed up with the forced co2 as well. But otherwise aging is basically something that comes with time that you cant speed up.

Also note force carbing doesn't mature the beer any quicker, it'll be good but still have that slight young taste to it, ok for the general public 9/10 but won't pass muster in comp.

True!
I make 2 keg brews. Fridge the first keg and drink. 2nd keg gets more aging and is always the best. Verdict being that green beer can suck. More maturing is goodness. :chug:

Danscraftbeer said:
True!
I make 2 keg brews. Fridge the first keg and drink. 2nd keg gets more aging and is always the best. Verdict being that green beer can suck. More maturing is goodness. :chug:
I have to say I always find the same but was a little stuck and brewing for a party so have one 1 month old beer which is a "mega Swill" type beer but I have to say very nice, and I have to rush the second due to being too busy. So sadly will be green and not my best but hell for the party it is still 40 L of free beer, but probably like most people on this site wish I could have done better.

Why not do the gelatin in primary during the cold crash?

I was not in favor of doing in cold crash as I don't like to open the fermenter and let oxygen in as this is the end of fermenting so you will end up with oxygen contact with Beer, made even worse by cold crashing as more will be absorbed.

Is the keg going to be moved after adding gelatine and force carbing? the gelatine and the crap its pulled from your beer will form a fluffy mass at the bottom of your keg that's easy to disturb on moving and (in my experience) doesn't settle out again properly. never had oxidised beer from adding dry hops/gelatine to fermenter post fermentation, plu this beer is going to be consumed before oxidisation is likely to ever be an issue.

Also adding to the support of finings to the fermenter.

You'd be better off adding the gelatin to the fermenter and letting the gelatin do its thing and the sludge settle anywhere but the keg. Issue with doing it in the keg is all of that sludge will settle next to the dip tube. When you pour the first few beers, you pick up the majority of it. It clears up eventually until you move the keg and stir up the sludge. Then you have cloudy beer again. Kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion.

The oxygen intake won't be that big an issue adding finings to the fermenter. But if you are still worried, purge the head space before opening the fermenter. A bit overkill if your beer is not being shipped around the world to sit on a shelf.

I'll add my +1 to fining in the fermenter too. Never noticed any oxidation in my beers from opening the FV to add dry hops or finings or whatever. Haven't even noticed it from transferring to the bottling bucket for bulk priming.

Do you guys stir when adding it to the fermenter ? After the comments I may give it a go

I don't use gelatine. I bottle my beer and I found the fluffy sludgy shit that was mentioned defeated the purpose because as soon as I moved a bottle it stirred it up. Either that or I didn't give it enough time in the FV before bottling. I dunno, but the yeast settles out quickly enough in bottles by itself.

I now use Polyclar to combat chill haze which is the issue I had with hazy beer. I do stir it in, but it's very gentle so as to not splash the beer around at all. Just enough to get some movement so the stuff is evenly distributed.

Back