G'Day from Coburg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaybo

Reaction score
Hello,

I found this forum a few months back and have spent a good number of hours reading over the many and varied topics.
It is fantastic food for thought!

I currently have a very basic setup and am on my third brew (1st Fresh wort kit US IPA, 2nd Kit and Kilo Muntons IPA with Dry hops, currently fermenting a Saison fresh wort kit)

It's been an enjoyable experience and I plan to make small improvements as I go with the aim to end up with AG or BIAB.

Other than all things beer related I am a huge comic book fan and love TV and movies.

I thought I better finish with a question: My saison started with an OG of 10.56 , I used Wyeast 3711 and has been bubbling away for 12 days. It is sitting in the bathtub with an ambient temperature of around 18 C

Yesterday the hydrometer read 1.022 and I am not sure if this is done or still fermenting, Should I bottle or let it go a bit longer?

Cheers ,

Tim

wait Id say mate, let it warm up a bit too now, always help toward the end of ferment.

ed: and welcome to the board :)

3711? I don't know what your processes and ingredients are so can't tell you for certain but my experience of it is high attenuation/low fg.

For full mash, stepped from 62 for 15 mins to 68 for 40, I expect 1006-1008.

Yob said:
wait Id say mate, let it warm up a bit too now, always help toward the end of ferment.

ed: and welcome to the board :)
Cheers and Thanks for the welcome!

manticle said:
3711? I don't know what your processes and ingredients are so can't tell you for certain but my experience of it is high attenuation/low fg.

For full mash, stepped from 62 for 15 mins to 68 for 40, I expect 1006-1008.
It's a wort kit from grain and grape . From what I have been reading most other saisons with this yeast have a low fg which is why i am unsure.

I am in no hurry so will leave it for a bit and apply some heat over the weekend!

I've never had 3711 finish above 1.002, as Yob said, warm it up & maybe call G&G to see where they think it should finish.

Agree with other posters - let the temp rise. You should be getting 80% or so attenuation with 3711 without simple sugar, more with

Yep, good advice already in this thread. Welcome to AHB! This forum has been instrumental in my own and many others' brewing journeys.

If you live in Coburg you should come along to the next Merri Mashers meeting; we're your local brewing club for the inner-north suburbs of Melbourne. We have 32 financial members so far and meetings always go off with much sharing of beers and merriment. Plenty of comic and film fans in the club too. Next meeting is 7PM, October 28 at the Terminus in Clifton Hill (upstairs - we get a bar discount and can bring our own brews as well). Most recently we brewed a club beer in Coburg's very own Pentridge Prison!

http://merrimashers.org/

:beer:

Cheers for the advice, I will crank up the temp with my heater belt and test again in a few days.

Forever Wort said:
Yep, good advice already in this thread. Welcome to AHB! This forum has been instrumental in my own and many others' brewing journeys.

If you live in Coburg you should come along to the next Merri Mashers meeting; we're your local brewing club for the inner-north suburbs of Melbourne. We have 32 financial members so far and meetings always go off with much sharing of beers and merriment. Plenty of comic and film fans in the club too. Next meeting is 7PM, October 28 at the Terminus in Clifton Hill (upstairs - we get a bar discount and can bring our own brews as well). Most recently we brewed a club beer in Coburg's very own Pentridge Prison!

http://merrimashers.org/

:beer:
Due to bad timing on my part i missed the northern beer festival and your demo. I will see if I can make it along to one of your upcoming events even if it's just to learn some more about this beautiful thing called brewing!

After applying the heater belt over the weekend the gravity is now 1.012 (tasting and smelling fantastic) I will leave it just a touch longer and then it's bottling time!

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Dude, don't bottle yet! 1.012 isn't close to a typical FG for that yeast. Normally I'd say wait until the OG is steady for a few days, but I'd be nervous bottling anywhere above 1.010. My advice? Leave it for at least a week and see if it comes down to 1.005 or below.

Have to agree with the Prince. All my FG's with 3711 have been 1.005 or lower. Better yet call Grain and Grape as suggested. They will definitely be able to tell you typical performance for this wort.

Back