g'day from brissie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oznewbie

Reaction score
Hey,

im new here from brisbane, been interested in home brew for a while. Finally got a beginner setup.

got a tooheys dry pale on from tuesday. All good so far (I hope).

Want to use bottles first off. Then mini keg. Then keg ... with some bottles at the same time.

hope to pick up a second fermenter over the next week or few to stager the brews and try out different varieties.

So... Hi :)

Hi Oznewbie and welcome.

It's great to hear that you already have your first brew on and it can only get better from there :)

I remember my first few brews; just a can of beer goop from woolworths and a kilo of sugar. They were far from the best beers I ever made but they got me started. Read up in the Kits and Extracts section, search the forums and feel free ask questions sir, everyone on here is pretty friendly and definitely helpful.

I'm a Brissy-boy too and there are more than a few of us brewing around these parts so don't be shy. This is just the top of the proverbial slippery slope.

- Meno

Thanks meno.

Yeah its a can of goop from a brewshop for now. If it turns out half decent il be happy. Il try a couple of different ones before adventuring onto newer things.

Any recommendations for brew shops? I was recommended one out wacol, but always keen to here more.

Where in Brisbane are you located Oznewbie? The Brewers Choice in Wacol is pretty good & will have more than enough equipment and ingrediants to get you started down the brewing road. They can sell you your first hops and malt to spice up those tins of goop into something really tasty :D

Ultimately they have a decent range and their prices aren't too bad - the Wacol store is also their head-office/warehouse so you know that they should be in stock and their staff are generally pretty good. I started my brewing journey with a bunch of their products and some good advice from Tony who used to run the Chapel Hill store. Check out their website for some pretty cool beginner recipes too...

Craftbrewer (site sponsor) is a brewshop out at Capalaba and they have everything. An exceptional range of equipment and ingredients with a brewery attached to the store to boot. Ross who runs the place is a recognized brewing guru here in Brissy and an awesome guy to boot. I haven't been out there myself but have ordered online from them for some harder-to-find stuff which they inevitably have.

When you first walk into these stores you probably won't know what half the stuff in there is for but believe me, soon enough you'll be looking jealously at some of the more expensive gear and sighing wistfully :p

If you can get down there before you start your next brew, pick up a kilo of light dry malt and maybe a 15g teabag of cascade hops to use in your next brew. It's only a small simple step and it'll make a world of difference in your beer, trust me.

Latest posts

Back