GB brew, Urgent Help Needed (newbie)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bum said:
Yeah. The yeasties will be munching away at the batch while the fast ferment is going on. The horse will have already bolted by the time you learn anything useful, if such a thing might happen from a fast ferment test in this situation - I'm dubious. We know it is bottled too early. Not sure what the value is.

Not being bottled so very early. Look at it this way - you've done the equivalent of over-priming by 8 times the usual amount. Not worth stuffing around with the risk of the recapping process, IMO.

Yeah. Or tip it. Don't think about letting it ferment out in the bottle. I wouldn't think about tipping it back into the fermenter but you could try it, I guess.

Yeah, flavour as well. I find that kit GBs aren't in their prime for months. You should not let these bottles sit around for months. I strongly suspect they couldn't survive that long anyway.

Yep.

Nope. Some people have a higher sensitivity to yeast though and there will be more in the GB so young.

I still see a real safety issue. Your call to make.

Thanks for the info mate, really appreciated. Like I said before, first batch and there is always a learning curve, ill learn from my mistakes and get it right next time. Now comes the hurdle of finding fridge space. Ill keep you posted on how it goes, cheers.

:icon_offtopic:
Not For Horses said:
Tropical Hobart?? I think not :p
Well...
gallery_29030_1074_48679.png

For this time of year Hobart is near tropical! I admit that Launnie beats Hobart for mean high temp by 0.1 degree in april and Nov, but the lower temp is a fair bit lower.

Bum:
I was thinking if Saxonhall can keep the bottles at a low enough temp then they wont blowup by the time the force fermentation bottle has finished.
But, your comment that 1030 is still way too high definitely makes sense. I Haven't made ginger beer before so cant comment with any authority. But if Bum is right and 1030 is way too high, then the force fermentation test wont really tell you much.

Your avg high is about the same as our avg low. :D

I was thinking if Saxonhall can keep the bottles at a low enough temp then they wont blowup by the time the force fermentation bottle has finished.

Wrong, lower temps just means it will take longer before bottle bombs happen.

if I leave them in the fridge for long enough will the flavour and fizz still improve, even know the fermentation has stopped?

They'll probably be sweet due to the unfermented priming sugar, although I have no experience to base this on.

wbosher said:
They'll probably be sweet due to the unfermented priming sugar, although I have no experience to base this on.
Spot on wbosher, so sweet! chilled a couple in fridge this arvo and just trying now, got plenty of fizz. Might just call it a lost coarse, but learnt a few things in the process.

Personally? I'd crack the lids, let them ferment out and add a liquid solution and 're cap.. An option

Given that it's pretty much a loss of the batch anyway. I'll make a suggestion and await the flaming.

I'd be tempted to sanitise the tops of the bottles as best you can.(dip them into a no rinse sanitiser) Clean and sanitise the fermenter, crack each bottle and pour it back into the fermenter with minimal fuss.

Given that the currently partially fermented batch has a fair level of dissolved CO2 and a fair whack of unfermented sugar, you MIGHT get away without oxidising the batch or ending up with some rancid infection (I said might, though it's a solid risk) the amount of oxygen being temporarily introduced into the Ginger Beer may be sufficient to re-kick it into a happy state to chew through the rest of the fermentable load left in the mix.

If, at the end of the fermentation, as confirmed by 2-3 steady & unchanged hydrometer readings a couple of days apart, the batch actually tastes alright, then re-bottle it as normal. If it's stuffed, then it's stuffed and always was going to be, so there's no further loss other than a fermenter being tied up for a week longer.

Figure it's worth a shot.
Martin

No experience on my part but is it possible to sanitise the top of the bottles then remove the caps and cover each bottle with glad wrap and let fermentation finish then recap,could save on oxidation and infection,work in fermenter.

2c

Kev

Back