Gassing Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazz20

Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering how you guys and gals gas your kegs, I've been cranking co2 up to 300kpa and rocking them back and forward. Any other suggestions or links? Also does anyone use sugar instead of co2?

Cheers

Hazz

I have one co2 bottle and I split the line into two inside the fridge. I have it set at about 60kpa and never move it. Takes about a week to gas a keg. If the beer gets a bit heady I remove the gas connect at reduce the pressure via the relief valve. I always ended up with foam using the high pressure method and found this way works really well for me.

Hazza,

I do similar to wakka, I got mine set to 90 kPa. That's the gassing and pouring pressure. Takes about a week to gas up, have 2 kegs on the go all the time. The only time it gets a bit frothy is when the keg is about to run out, so I just put up with it and leave things as they are. I set up the system nearly 12 months ago, and haven't touched it since (although it is getting low on gas now).

So, set and forget.

cheers

Dave

I either do it at 80kpa for a week (serving pressure)

or

300 kpa for 12 hours if I am in a hurry

Paul

Once you get set up with a few kegs, I think the best way is to keep it at serving pressure all the time, but if you only have a couple of kegs, sometimes you just can't wait for the week to gas it up, but you always risk overgassing the beer that way.

I am too lazy to keep adjusting the gauge all the time, so now I just try to keep ahead of schedule with my beers, to make sure they have at least one week to gas up before being used, but find it is just right after about 10 days on serving pressure.

There is a calculator by Crozdog under articles in the menu that will work out your serving pressure quite accurately, given the beer style, temperature and line type you have, to make things easier to work out.

If you need it in a hurry, then force carb is needed, although it can be very hit and miss as to whether your keg get's gassed correctly until you do it a number of times and all your variables are ironed out - keg temp, gas pressure, gas duration.
A bit longer, get the keg cold and gas for a week or so at pouring pressure. This way you know you won't overcarb, although it's possible to undercarb if you start drinking it early.
A lot longer, bulk prime. Same as bottling, but you prime it in the keg.

I like the simple gas at pouring pressure, then I don't have to worry about accidentaly overpressuring another keg by forgetting to turn it off at the manifold before upping the pressure

The rest have said it. I used to play force carbing it, setting my reg up and down in pressures; stuffing the ramdom one up and having to degass it, etc etc etc. Now I have 4 kegs running in the fridge, all connected at serving pressure 80 - 90 kpa, 2 drinking and 2 maturing/gassing. Never play with the reg, never overgass again. I think even with the shake/roll methods the beer still improves over the first week drastically anyway. But if you dont have the fridge space to leave it a week to mature, then maybe get a rocking.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back