Gassing A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullys brew

Reaction score
I've finally got a keg setup & have just put down yet another Coopers Pale Ale
600g dextrose
500g Coopers light dry malt
Cascade hops teabag steeped for 30mins & thrown in
uso5 yeast

All is bubbling away nicely under the watchful eye of my fridgemate at 18 degrees. I always ferment for 2 weeks to give the yeast time to clean up etc & I plan on leaving for a week or so in the keg(once burped or purged) before chilling & gassing.

MY QUESTION IS!!!

At what pressure do I gas the keg, once cold of course, I have a mate who gasses for 24hrs at 300kpa then back to around 40 or 50 kpa to serve.

Just thought Id put it out there & see if I can gain some opinons & general ideas as this is my first crack at kegging.

Any advice appreciated

It depends on a few things, have you had a look for the "balancing a draught system"calcilator on this forum?? It will help alot. Do you leave your gas bottle on all the time?? If so hook up to it at serving pressure and it will be ready in a week, or there is the ross method which is forced carbination.

Cheers

Scotsman

no wasnt planning on leaving the bottle on all the time, probably just on & off at serving pressure or as required after keg has carbonated.

look for the ross method and read up on that sounds like the way you would do it for your system. I think its in the gear and equiptment section.

for your first time i wouldnt recommend the ross method, you will probally over carb and thats a pain. if your going to let it sit for a week in the keg then hook it up to the gas at serving pressure, at the end of the week it will be perfect. Something i do and im sure plenty of others do is whack the fermenter in the fridge to cold chill for a few days before you keg, this will drop out any suspended yeast and you will get a much clearer beer, then keg it , its already cold so hook it up to the gas and sit back and wait. by leaving the gas on all the time your not going to be using any extra gas unless you have a leak in your system.

my 2 cents worth.

cozmo

for your first time i wouldnt recommend the ross method, you will probally over carb and thats a pain. if your going to let it sit for a week in the keg then hook it up to the gas at serving pressure, at the end of the week it will be perfect. Something i do and im sure plenty of others do is whack the fermenter in the fridge to cold chill for a few days before you keg, this will drop out any suspended yeast and you will get a much clearer beer, then keg it , its already cold so hook it up to the gas and sit back and wait. by leaving the gas on all the time your not going to be using any extra gas unless you have a leak in your system.

my 2 cents worth.

cozmo

+1

Yep, leave it set up at serving pressure (I do around 90 -97 kPa) and it's ready in a week. Leave the gas on all the time, saves rootin' around.

Enjoy your beer/s :icon_cheers:

cheers
Dave

250 for 24hrs, then to 70 for pouring, not a drama since.. ;)

Back