Gas Post Leak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sid

Reaction score
Hi there I have just bought 2 old 20ltr corny's, I noticed when I done a leak test that the gas in posts of both kegs leak co2 out the top when I have the ball lock off..............is this common and would the gas line stop this leaking if it remained connected and with preasure.
Or do I have to buy 2 new gas in posts or can I re-con the old ones with new seals and springs?

Thanks for the help.

sounds like the poppets inside might be buggered.with the post off just push out the old ones and the new ones should just slip in and youre finished. it does sound odd to me that both kegs are doing the same thing so maybe some one else has a better idea to fix your problems.

Yeah, sounds like a problem with the poppet to me. First pull the post apart and see if the poppet is sitting right inside the post. If it's still a problem, them you'll probably need to replace it.

When you say "Old 20 Litre Corny's" do these have Stainless Steel Handles or Rubber around the top?
If they are the common corny, then you need a couple poppet valves.
If they are the old Australian made ones with stainless handles, then you just need what is called a "Top Hat" seal, lots cheaper, but a lot more fun to change.

MHB

When you say "Old 20 Litre Corny's" do these have Stainless Steel Handles or Rubber around the top?
If they are the common corny, then you need a couple poppet valves.
If they are the old Australian made ones with stainless handles, then you just need what is called a "Top Hat" seal, lots cheaper, but a lot more fun to change.

MHB

hey ya guys..................thanks for the replies, yeh these kegs have the stainless handles, no rubber around the top, but they are NZ corny's, might be the same as the old aussy ones, I don't know.
I'll pull the bloody things apart tomorrow and have a look at them, I got these kegs for $21 each, so a bit of $$ to refurbish them will be worth while.
do the newer kegs with rubber around the top have no "top hat" seals on the poppet valve?.............just so I know what I'm looking for

The "Poppet" in a corny is a single replaceable part. Your kegs have a poppet that disassembles and you only need to replace the top hat washer, while you're in there I would do a complete refit
You will need, for each keg: -
Dip tube gasket X 1
Lifesaver washer X 2
Top Hat washer X 2
Post/Plug O-Ring X 2
Different people call the parts different names, I had a great assembly drawing for the post that made it easy but I can't find it (sorry), this might help with the overall layout STPV,under Post Mix Kegs, and it looks like these guys are the NZ agent if your local Home Brew Shop can't help you.

Good buying at $21 and have fun.

MHB

if the kegs are old and haven't been maintained, its probably best to replace everything as per MHB's post - but you could also try just pulling out the poppet and smearing a little food grade lube on the rubber bits. Many wondrous leak fixing miracles have been wrought in my brewery with a liberal application of lube.....

The "Poppet" in a corny is a single replaceable part. Your kegs have a poppet that disassembles and you only need to replace the top hat washer, while you're in there I would do a complete refit
You will need, for each keg: -
Dip tube gasket X 1
Lifesaver washer X 2
Top Hat washer X 2
Post/Plug O-Ring X 2
Different people call the parts different names, I had a great assembly drawing for the post that made it easy but I can't find it (sorry), this might help with the overall layout STPV,under Post Mix Kegs, and it looks like these guys are the NZ agent if your local Home Brew Shop can't help you.

Good buying at $21 and have fun.

MHB

thanks for the info guys, will pull them out and replace any seals today..................yeh $21 was my steal of the year, heheh, even with a recon I couldn't go too wrong with that buy.
got to keg this beer today-tomorrow for the homebrew meet on thursday, i got told 2 days gasing at 30psi should do for carbing the brew then bleddof gas and and set at 4psi to serve.............sound right?

well I took the gas in apart on one keg and greased and cleaned it, I couldn't get a gasket for the top of the poppet valve, so greasing it had to do, It has all but sealed it, so thats good.................there might be a tiny bit of a leak but it's hard to see it with soap and water.

Back