Gas bottle question - Beware of Noob

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tspark

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to all this and learning very quickly.

Bought myself a new 2.6kg co2 bottle and reg.

Set it all up and pumped 10psi into my new keg to see if it held pressure ok.
So far so good.

I have had the regulator connected to the bottle since I bought it (2 days ago with the bottles tap turned all the way off).

When I first connected the bottle and reg the needle only went up to about 500psi - just above the red line..

I was wondering what is meant to be a normal psi reading for a full bottle. Somehow I think I may have received a bottle on the very empty side when I paid for a full one.

Purchased all gear through KK.

CO2 is stored as a liquid which evaporates, turns out that the vapor pressure is about 500psi at 0oC (excuse the mixed units). Which means that the gauge will stay pretty much at the same pressure until all the liquid is used up then you are on stored pressure, which in a small bottle will disappear pretty fast.

Wish people would use metric, using silly system is about as dumb as using pounds shillings and pence - even the English have given that shit up.
Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark. Problem was there seemed to be no gas coming out of a new full bottle after purging one keg.
I read through a post by pirateagenda and it turns out the safety valve in the neck of the bottle was jammed..
Removed and back upto 500psi and gas is working again.

Cheers
Jase

Latest posts

Back