Galaxy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flano

Reaction score
doing a bit of a train carsh with left over grain.

400 trad ale

3300 pils

200 caramunich

200 pale wheat

200 cara pils

I have for hops.. nelson, amarillo , saaz , POR, cascade and galaxy

I want to to try the galaxy ( never used before )as I think I read they were used in stone and wood Pacifc Ale.
I want a bit of a passionfruity type of ale .

any tips as to what I should use with the galaxy?

cheers norx

I have minimal experience using it - plenty of experience drinking it via S&W haha. I love it but have found that I definitely prefer it blended a little bit. I don't think you can go wrong with that list of hops. I've even blended amarillo and saaz in my ignorance 12 months ago and the flavours eventually blended really well. I have also used galaxy with first gold and it is fantastic. I like mixing citrus and spiciness.

Nelson Sav is an awesome bittering hop IMO, maybe bitter at 45mins with nelson (that will allow some flavour) and then start hopbursting with galaxy and cascade from 15 - 5 mins and then galaxy at flameout or dry hopped?

It's a delicious list!!!!

yep
I was thinking starting off with the nelson and finishing it off with some steeped galaxy ...just dunno what to do in the middle.
cacsade ..maybe like you say
pretty sure I have done saaz and amarillo.
tasted ok to me ..I think.

I you ever run out of galaxy, just tip 1L of Pasito into your fermenter. :p

A mate of mine said it well when he tasted one of my Galaxy IPAs, "This beer needs a little umbrella in it."

Nelson & cascade.

My last APA was Nelson, Cascade, Citra and Galaxy. Current APA is the same without Nelson (committed the unforgivable sin of running out of Nelson).

Use the galaxy to bitter at 30 min, then slam it at 10 minutes with Galaxy, Cascade and Nelson, weighted toward the latter if you don't want OTT passionfruit.

Goomba

One I did thats drinking pretty well as we speak. Left overs really.

Citra 10g @45
Galaxy 15g @15
Amarillo 20g @10
Citra 10g @10
Nelson 10g @10

I would have thought that you would have stashes of it everywhere...

You ever get one of those "she'll be right" assumptions?

Had me one of those at last trip to CB - thought I had tons of NS leftover.

Went to pull some hops out of the freezer to weigh up for my current APA, and *shock horror* - no NS. Compensated with some extra Citra (of course).

If I didn't have Citra (my other "I'll never run out" hop), they'd have found me floating in the BNE river. :lol:

First APA in 2 years without NS. Felt a bit wrong, really.

Goomba

I use cascade and nelson almost every brew... and I almost always use POR or super pride as my bittering edition.

am loving the galaxy ATM too..

Galaxy Citra Amarillo are winners..

got one im botteling today that had Halletau as a 20 min and DH Galaxy - Citra...

kind of gone off cascade for the last few months and have loved experimenting with amarillo and galaxy (and Citra) in various amounts

:icon_drunk:

ok
jobs done.

45 mins 20 nelson

15 MIN 15 GRM AMARILLO

10 MIN 10 CASCADE

10 MIN 10 GALAXY

0 min 10 grm galaxy

no computer progams or hop calculators used at all.

just pure blind hope.

tasted ok during the boil...not overly hoppy at all.

Probably a bit late on this one but for others reading if you're liking Stone & Wood's Pacific ale you'll find a grain bill that's 60/40 pale/wheat and a shiteload of galaxy late additions only.

Countless clone recipes floating around AHB with most with straight galaxy at 20 min, 5, 0 min addition and then dry hop. Don't go using galaxy to bitter is my recommendation, it's best late. Too much bittering with galaxy and you'll find you've got one rough beer on your hands. (Learnt by hard experience with this one).

Check out thread discussions on the subject "Stone and wood ale" and "Stone and wood pacific ale". Plenty out there.

Hopper.

Absolutely right. It's waaay too bitter and harsh for my tastes used early. My APA (which has a percieved IBU of about 25) starts with 10gms Galaxy at 20 mins, then more at 10 and 5 mins and usualyy at least 100gms dry hopped....IBU in Beersmith say 16IBU, but it is spot on.

Absolutely right. It's waaay too bitter and harsh for my tastes used early. My APA (which has a percieved IBU of about 25) starts with 10gms Galaxy at 20 mins, then more at 10 and 5 mins and usualyy at least 100gms dry hopped....IBU in Beersmith say 16IBU, but it is spot on.

Interesting - I haven't used it exclusively to bitter but I did throw 10gms in as FWH on an AIPA I've just racked and its tasting fantastically smooth out of secondary... even then though it was balanced with some first gold FWH as well...

100gms dry hopped would be amazing! Must be a nice, resinous sort of mouthfeel as well?

I've just kegged this beer using galaxy flowers:

Munich Malt 46.50 %
Pale Malt (Barret Burston) 46.50 %
Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) 7.00 %
Galaxy 40 min 20.2 IBU
Galaxy 20 min 9.0 IBU
Galaxy 5 min 4.4 IBU

and it's tasting really good / smooth at this point. I actually hardly ever use a bittering addition at 60 minutes any more, I've been getting much nicer results from my 40 minute additions as more flavour is coming through. I've brewed a few beers using exclusively flowers over the years and they are fantastic, much less coarse tasting than pellets.

Galaxy has a reasonably low cohumulone percent so I wouldn't have thought it would be too harsh? Obviously some have found it is.

um

tasting bloody awesome at this stage of the ferment.
down to 1005 ...need it to be ready for Sat ..should just scrape in.

It's better not to open another thread on Galaxy hop.
I would like to know the difference between Galaxy and Citra cause the homebrew shop description of this 2 hops are similar.
(I'm sorry for my bad language) :)

It's better not to open another thread on Galaxy hop.
I would like to know the difference between Galaxy and Citra cause the homebrew shop description of this 2 hops are similar.
(I'm sorry for my bad language) :)

Galaxy is passionfruit. Citra is lychee.

Back