Galaxy hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick667

Reaction score
I am playing with a clone that uses Galaxy hops but here in NZ I can only find 100grm packs and they are reasonably costly in the big picture.
So I was talking to one of the guys at my HB shop and he suggested that Galaxy is ' just Australia's copy of Nelson Sauvin, a NZ hop. However doing some research online and I dont see any conection to Nelson Sauvin.
Can anyone give me there impression of this hop or possible replacement or is Galaxy really out on its own.

I have had good experience substituting Ella for Galaxy in the past, I have also played with an El Dorado, Crystal blend before to get something in the same ball park when I lived in Darwin and the local brew shops were all focused on Kit and Kilo and not really interested in stocking hops - that's another story.

When I was playing around trying to get the blend right I made two hop teas and mixed them in different ratios into a small 5 l base beer that I bittered with something like warrior and then mixed different quantities of in the hop teas in and tasted.

From my notes I preferred 2 parts El Dorado to 1 part Crystal – I know that that’s not really scientific and is pretty subjective as what I like might not be what you are looking for in your particular recipie - It all depends on what your looking for as far as flavour profile goes.

I've just brewed a couple of beers with nectaron which is similar to galaxy, might be easier to get locally

I've used both Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin and there's no similarity. They're completely and utterly different. I use Nectaron, too, in fact it's one of my favourite hops. Galaxy is a big, in your face hop while Nectaron is mellow and well-behaved. I think it depends on the beer you're trying to clone and if you're looking for a big hop kick I think I'd substitute Citra (not an NZ hop, I know). But really, I think I'd bite the bullet and pay for the Galaxy. What are you trying to clone, bu the way?

I've used both Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin and there's no similarity. They're completely and utterly different. I use Nectaron, too, in fact it's one of my favourite hops. Galaxy is a big, in your face hop while Nectaron is mellow and well-behaved. I think it depends on the beer you're trying to clone and if you're looking for a big hop kick I think I'd substitute Citra (not an NZ hop, I know). But really, I think I'd bite the bullet and pay for the Galaxy. What are you trying to clone, bu the way?
Yep very different. I love galaxy, can't stand NS.

I was just playing around with a recipe co Brewfather, Philter XPA, I cant get that here either but my son said it is very good. It uses Citra, Galaxy, Mosiac and Simcoe.

I find Galaxy very distinctive. Although Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin are singularly fruity hops, subbing one for the other makes no sense, according to my palate and memory, like subbing grapes for peaches.

I've seen claims that both of those hops lend passion fruit qualities, but p.f. seems to be a martketing buzz phrase for many fruity hops.

Use other fruity hops in varied blends and don't worry about authenticity. Or order Galaxy. Nectaron, I haven't tried.

Try the hopping mechanism (Kev Bristol) found on Facebook he will probably post to you

I think there are some sponsors that may be able to help also
I've bought them from Brewman in the past, and can vouch for Steve's excellent service.
Not a huge fan of them used early, but quite like them used late.
I definitely am not a fan of Nelson Sauvin, reminds me of my least favourite white wine, sauvignon blanc.
Cascade, Citra, Simco, Chinook, love them all in my APAs.

I've bought them from Brewman in the past, and can vouch for Steve's excellent service.
Not a huge fan of them used early, but quite like them used late.
I definitely am not a fan of Nelson Sauvin, reminds me of my least favourite white wine, sauvignon blanc.
Cascade, Citra, Simco, Chinook, love them all in my APAs.
I agree with never using the Galaxy early unless you really know this hop.

Late use of Galaxy is amazing

I tasted my 2 nectaron hopped beers this morning and I can say it is not close to galaxy, maybe half as intense, not unpleasant but not a substitute for galaxy

I was just playing around with a recipe co Brewfather, Philter XPA, I cant get that here either but my son said it is very good. It uses Citra, Galaxy, Mosiac and Simcoe.
Just looked up that beer. It sounds awesome. I reckon that in such a cocktail of big, in-your-face hops, anything a bit delicate would be totally lost. But you could sub the galaxy with another big-hitter like Idaho 7, ahtanum or chinook. It'll be a bit different, but not massively so. But those hops are not likely to be any cheaper than galaxy, unless you've already got them in stock.
Your Philter makes me think of one of my favourite recipes, which is Corbel by Eight Arch Brewery in the UK. It uses Chinook, Cascade, Ahtanum and Mozaic. It's delicious. I'll post the recipe if any body's interested.

Edit: even better, could you post your recipe and we'll do a swap. I'm not fond of Simcoe, but happy to give it another shot in such a big mixture.

Last edited:
Just looked up that beer. It sounds awesome. I reckon that in such a cocktail of big, in-your-face hops, anything a bit delicate would be totally lost. But you could sub the galaxy with another big-hitter like Idaho 7, ahtanum or chinook. It'll be a bit different, but not massively so. But those hops are not likely to be any cheaper than galaxy, unless you've already got them in stock.
Your Philter makes me think of one of my favourite recipes, which is Corbel by Eight Arch Brewery in the UK. It uses Chinook, Cascade, Ahtanum and Mozaic. It's delicious. I'll post the recipe if any body's interested.

Edit: even better, could you post your recipe and we'll do a swap. I'm not fond of Simcoe, but happy to give it another shot in such a big mixture.
Just looking through my hop specs to find something big and smooth to replace the coarse Pacific Gem in one of my strong ales. Guess what? Moutere seems to have a similar profile to Galaxy; loads of citrus and fruit, secondary flavours tend towards spicy rather than floral, but that'll be lost in the mix. I think might by as close as we'll get.
Anyway, I've got 50g so I'm going to give it a whirl in a small batch.

Here it is. My pencil notes are for a larger batch than 20 litres. Except the Magnum which really does need increasing to get the desired bitterness.

Attachments

• IMG_20221101_083558.jpg
    IMG_20221101_083558.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Back