Galaxy Hopped Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcke109

Reaction score
Just tasted my all grain galaxy hopped ale and i'll tell you what those hops are strong! I didn't have access to my Beersmith program when I calculated this recipe so I 'guesstimated' the amount of bittering hops I would need (knowing that this was a 15AA hop). I was aiming for around 12-15 grams bittering.

The beer itself has a lovely aroma and the initial taste is awesome but there is way to much bitterness for my liking on the back palate. My question - will this bitterness mellow over time? Any help would be appreciated.

It will mellow a little bit but by that time the aroma and flavour will have also faded. Best bet is the brew it again with less or no bittering hops and then blend the two.

And your right galaxy is a great hop :chug:

That could def be worth a try! Hadn't even contemplated doing that.

Cheers Jye

15gm shouldn't be too bitter, I just brewed one and according to BeerSmith it should be 39 IBUs. Mind you I did mash at 68 C to give it a bit of body.

Interesting you should post this today. I've recently finished a keg of my first generic ale using only galaxy in the hop schedule and I'm currently adjusting the recipe for a brew session this PM. Bitterness was about right however I was disappointed that the aroma/flavour from the galaxy had faded quite considerably in that time. This was for a beer which was conditioned for around 5-6 weeks. My hop schedule was 30g/60mins, 20/15, 20/5 in a 42L batch. According to Promash this was 45.4IBU but in my opinion it didn't taste that bitter. How long has your beer been conditioning?

The current revision of my recipe is looking like 30/60, 20/15 and 50/5. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other hops that might go well with the galaxy for aroma?

Interesting you should post this today. I've recently finished a keg of my first generic ale using only galaxy in the hop schedule and I'm currently adjusting the recipe for a brew session this PM. Bitterness was about right however I was disappointed that the aroma/flavour from the galaxy had faded quite considerably in that time. This was for a beer which was conditioned for around 5-6 weeks. My hop schedule was 30g/60mins, 20/15, 20/5 in a 42L batch. According to Promash this was 45.4IBU but in my opinion it didn't taste that bitter. How long has your beer been conditioning?

The current revision of my recipe is looking like 30/60, 20/15 and 50/5. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other hops that might go well with the galaxy for aroma?

At the risk of a highjack, my hop shedule was 15/60 min, 15/15 minutes and 15gm dry hopped (23 litres). I'm pretty confident with that. Conditioning will smooth out some bitterness over time, but fresh is best for the aroma hit :icon_drool2: .
As for combo, maybe B-Saaz or NS.

Am tempted to let it sit and hope that the bitterness will fade with time then dry hop to get the aroma.....what do you reckon?

At the risk of a highjack, my hop shedule was 15/60 min, 15/15 minutes and 15gm dry hopped (23 litres). I'm pretty confident with that. Conditioning will smooth out some bitterness over time, but fresh is best for the aroma hit :icon_drool2: .
As for combo, maybe B-Saaz or NS.

i did a galaxy hopped pale ale about 4 months ago with 10 g 60 min , 10 g 30 min and 10 g 5 min
the sharp bitterness at the end has mellowed but there is still plenty of flavor and aroma left.
so i say just leave it for a little bit longer and itll be sweet.

cheer's matho

I do 12g Galaxy for 30 mins, 12g Centennial for 20 mins & 12g Cascade for 10mins in my pale (sorghum extract). Great balance & aroma.

Latest posts

Back