Galaxy Dry Hopping - How much is too much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ ^ well now that you have tried dry hopping it cold and got very little aroma........do it @ 20c for 4days on the next batch and use 1.5g/L and it will be what your after.

I have tried cold dry hopping(4c) and I know others may like it but it achieves about 1/10th of the result v's dry hopping warm. Dry hopping in the middle range around 10-12c is better than low @ 4c.

Did you use pellets or cones? Personally I prefer dry hopping at fermentation temps for a couple of days before cold crashing for 2-3 days more. The pellet hops float on the surface for the first couple of days before dropping and infusing all the way to the bottom of the fermenter. 1g/L dry hops is not a lot in my books. I have also found keg hopping to be very effective, probably because most of the yeast has been removed.

Yeh I'll up the dose next time. Actually have an IPA fermenting at the moment which is probably a good chance to dry hop big and use the left overs of my galaxy hops.

I used pellet hops - so that makes sense there wasn't much infusion if they sat on the top for a few days first.

In trying to be efficient, I was trying to carb and dry hop in the keg at the same time but the fishing line didn't allow for a proper seal of the keg unfortunately. Might give keg hopping another crack soon though as well.

Cheers guys.

timmybradley said:
I used pellet hops - so that makes sense there wasn't much infusion if they sat on the top for a few days first.
under cold conditions they will sink very quickly which isn't ideal. That why I think adding the hops warm for a couple of days before cold crashing and leaving for a few more days works so well.

FWIW my Stone and Wood clone is literally identical to the commercial version and I dry hopped with Galaxy for a week before cold crashing and kegging. Not blowing my own trumpet, but it is undistinguishable between my version and the commercial one, attested to by 4 other drinkers on separate tastings.

25u7alh.jpg

I didn't dry hop, but used a hop tea steeped for 15 mins. 25 grams of Galaxy for my 20 litre batch of Pale Ale.

Smells like passion fruit and citrus. Very nice. Also the tea seems to add a bit more bitterness instead of just dry hopping.

goatus said:
I disagree with the above. I dont think there is a "too much" for galaxy dry hopping - its all the length of time its in there with Galaxy. I dryhop with a huge amount, but only for 4 - 5 days MAX. If you do it for any longer you will start to get a harsh grassiness (which I think is why its got a bad name for dryhopping). If you like a super big aroma hit, go nuts with the galaxy, just pull it out after 4 - 5 days. Love this hop.
I'd second that and add that 1-2 days is enough. Controlled experiments have shown that's sufficient to extract the oils. I've had luck with two days. No grass. But Simcoe and old workhorse Cascade are first choices for dry hopping.

All good info to know. Thanks chaps.

Laid down a batch of Coopers Authentic IPA on the weekend and am planning to dry-hop it with some galaxy & citra. My only query was how many days dry-hopping I'd go with?

Think I'll split the difference and go 3 days. Particularly as these 2 hops varieties are very big on flavour. Mind you my citra pellets are getting a little old now (purchased them back in mid-2014). So they might not pack the punch they once might have.

Cheers,

Pete

I did a hop tea with 25 grams of Galaxy.

Definitely added some bitterness and flavour/aroma.

slcmorro said:
FWIW my Stone and Wood clone is literally identical to the commercial version and I dry hopped with Galaxy for a week before cold crashing and kegging. Not blowing my own trumpet, but it is undistinguishable between my version and the commercial one, attested to by 4 other drinkers on separate tastings.
um ... Recipe??
Please.

technobabble66 said:
um ... Recipe??
Please.
Agreed,

Saying your beer is identical to the commercial version without providing a recipe is like saying I caught a fish this big without showing us a picture ;)

JD

technobabble66 said:
um ... Recipe??
Please.
Ask and ye shall receive...

Boulders and Tinder
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.700
Total Hops (g): 20.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 4.1 (EBC): 8.1
Bitterness (IBU): 21.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 73
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.800 kg Pale Ale Malt (59.57%)
1.800 kg Wheat Malt (38.3%)
0.100 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (2.13%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
60.0g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) Dry Hopped at Day 7

Misc Bill
----------------
5.0 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Just to confirm slcmorro
7 day ferment then dry hop for another 7 days cold crash and keg?

Thanks dude!
Did you chill or NC that?
You've changed the recipe from the Inception batch you posted? - Torrified wheat dropped for malt, and the hops schedule looks a little different. (Aah no - NC with a 10min bittering addition. All good on hops). Wheat?

Edit: actually, the 0min hops. A miniboil/Argon method?

No chill lads, and yes the recipe posted in this thread is the exact one for my SWPA Clone - what you see above is what I used. 0 min additions are into the kettle just as the burners go off.
The Inception Brew I haven't done yet - That was a BB Galaxy with just Galaxy, so a SMaSH if memory serves me.

7 day ferm, 7 day dry hop (while still fermenting - left them in during cc'ing too) so 2 weeks ferm or until FG is reached then cold crash for as long as you want. I think I went with 7 days from memory.

No worries mate, very welcome. Hope you get enjoyment out of it. PM me and let me know what you think when you taste it.

Back