Galaxy Dry Hopping - How much is too much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well go at it then timmybradley, I'd still stay at .5 g/l for dry hopping though :lol:

My experiences with Galaxy: Great hop for dry hopping if passionfruit if that you want, you just have to be careful or you can end up with cut grass. in my experience that transition point isn't very forgiving if you dry hop it when the wort/beer is warm. Do it once the beer has crash chilled, and for a few days max. flowers much nicer than pellets. Flowers great for cube-hopping too if you're a no-chiller.
S&W pacific ale is more like a US style wheat than a typical "pale ale" IMO. Pils, wheat, US-05, multiple stages of dry hopping, I love it.

SWPA is a clever beer and that malt bill fits that single hop. I've tried it with single hops beers using cascade, Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra and offcourse galaxy. Combinations of those with that malt bill have been awesome.

Question for the leaf hops......do they flocculate like pellets when you cold crash?? If so I will use them for a remake in 2015.

they tend to 1/2 float, if that makes sense, but best to contain them within a loose bag of some sort unless you want a clogged tap

Thanks for the advice guys. Checking the gravity this arvo so will see how the flavour and aroma is at the moment and go from there.

brewinski said:
..Galaxy are pretty low on the bitter end of the business...
Nope. Right up the high end actually. Be very careful with anything other than very late additions.
At around 14-15%AA it won't take much to get your IBUs through the roof

You can actually go nuts with Galaxy as a dry hop by lowering the temp down below 10deg C to avoid the grassy notes and get the fruit. Drinking one here now that was 47L dry hopped with 90g & 40g of cascade for 8 days cold. No grass.

You crazy people and your love for a glass full of fruit salad.
Although I will give the cold dry hop method a go.

I've bought my first lot of Galaxy pellets and intend to use them in a toucan.

:ph34r: :ph34r:

That's right, a toucan.

I have acquired a tin of Canadian Blonde and a tin of Coopers Lager and going to do a keg filler with the cans and a tub of Maltose syrup. Rather than dry hopping, would it be best to do a short boil for around ten minutes with the maltose dissolved in some water then tip all into fermenter? Looking at probably 20g of pellets, and some San Diego Super Yeast to build up a supply of slurry for future brews.

AndrewQLD said:
You crazy people and your love for a glass full of fruit salad.
Although I will give the cold dry hop method a go.
Love the hop and hate that excessive grassiness Andrew. The cold treatment works a treat to reduce it. I usually drop mine to about 2-3 degrees these days. Not so with other hop varieties.

AndrewQLD said:
The SW Pale Ale is precisely why I think Galaxy is not a good hop for dry hopping, it's a horrible beer that is very one dimensional in both hop and malt qualities, however we can't all like a particular beer so my comment is just an opinion.
If you're right it not just an opinion...

And you're right

In my opinion

Blind Dog said:
If you're right it not just an opinion...

And you're right

In my opinion
great constructive post that one. post more of them.

HBHB, are you actually dry hopping at 2-3 degrees for a few days? or dropping it 2-3 degrees below ferment temp? i'm guessing the former. just want to check as i'll be doing a similar clone of this soon :)

I started doing them at about 8-10 degrees after making a beer that was full of grassy notes and not much else and it improved it. Some time later I tried it with the yeast dropped off and dropped the temp to 2 deg C and while it lost a fair amount of intensity, it lost all grassy notes and just kept the fruity notes. With no scientific basis for it, I've been doing it that way since and find it a lot cleaner.

AndrewQLD said:
The SW Pale Ale is precisely why I think Galaxy is not a good hop for dry hopping, it's a horrible beer that is very one dimensional in both hop and malt qualities, however we can't all like a particular beer so my comment is just an opinion.
Couldn't agree more. Just tastes like passiona soft drink to me

So checked in on it yesterday afternoon...

Gravity is dropping which is a good start... But when I tasted it... pretty buttery - That'll teach me for being impatient and pitching the yeast at 24C instead of waiting for the temp to drop a little more (currently sitting at 19C). Definitely has that fruity passiona taste but undecided if it needs more hop bitterness (via a hop tea).

So... Diacetyl rests... Haven't done one before but from what I've read... Let fermentation finish, then up the temp to ~22C for a couple of days?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Tim

It is preferable to perform a diacetyl rest when the yeast are still active so before you hit final gravity (2-5 points short). Give it a couple of days at the elevated temp then taste to see if the diacetyl has gone. If not leave it longer and retest. Consider performing a forced diacetyl test (google it) to make sure your don't have any diacetyl precursors which could turn into diacetyl in the bottle.

Thanks Black n Tan,

Will keep an eye on the gravity and also check out the forced diacetyl test (hadn't hear of it before).

Would you say 22C is about right to up the temp to?

Cheers,

Tim

A couple of degrees warmer than your main ferment temp for an ale. 22C sounds fine.

I've never done a diacetyl rest on an ale...
Lagers yes but not an ale. I usually do raise my temps during fermentation but only because I am impatient and want to get to FG quick. LOL!! Maybe I'm doing it inadvertently.

Back