Galaxy Amber Ale Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurule

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for recipe advice for an Extract Amber Ale using galaxy hops.
I will have 80g of Galaxy.
Some LDME
Some dex, maltodextrin and about 800g of pale crystal to play with.

I was thinking the following recipe.

1.5kg Amber Liquid Extract
1kg LDME
300g crystal steeped.
500g dex
250g maltodextrin

15g Galaxy @ 60min
20g@ 30 min
20g@ 15 min
20g@ 0 min
5g dry hop in secondary

Any thoughts?

Muchly appreciated.

mmm sounds nice. if you do this please post back to tell how it went I am getting into extract and this sounds good. sorry I cant comment on what its like as you would know more then me lol

Yeah hop pellets, not sure on % im not up on that business lol

13.4%AA

Also what yeast ya reckon, US-05 or 04

Well my thoughts are that it is going to be very hoppy as far as flavour and aroma is concerned with those late additions. I've only used Galaxy once, it's delicious but very powerful in aroma, flavour and bitterness. What's your batch volume?

Edited to add that I'd use US-05 or recultured Coopers yeast.

Was going to be 23 litres. Perhaps i should ease back on it a bit first time hey and see how it turns out.

Hi,

I am looking for recipe advice for an Extract Amber Ale using galaxy hops.
I will have 80g of Galaxy.
Some LDME
Some dex, maltodextrin and about 800g of pale crystal to play with.

I was thinking the following recipe.

1.5kg Amber Liquid Extract
1kg LDME
300g crystal steeped.
500g dex
250g maltodextrin

15g Galaxy @ 60min
20g@ 30 min
20g@ 15 min
20g@ 0 min
5g dry hop in secondary

Any thoughts?

Muchly appreciated.

I am also looking at moving to Extract brewing, I have been playing with ianh's calculator http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...9655&st=180 and with a few tweeks (to add data) I have calculated with a 23Litre brew and the Hop volumes listed above (13.4AA) your total bitterness will be around "IBU" 56 (possibly where you are looking (your taste) and 300gms crystal 120 will give you a colour "EBC" 23.2.

Have a look at the Excel sheet, good guide..

Hi there,

Have brewed a couple of APA's with Galaxy flowers in the last few months and have really enjoyed them both. The US05 and or the rehydrated Coopers yeast should give you reasonable dryness to make those Galaxys in the aroma end of the recipe really shine.
The minimal ammount of dry hopping you are going for is ample. I dry hopped one of my Galaxy APA batches with 1g/litre for 2 weeks in secondary cold conditioning and nearly died from a lupulin overdose!!! (I know there are loads of beers hoppier out there than the before mentioned, but you get the jist!)
Recipe looks good, and I wish you well with your brew day.

Pig

I wouldn't take what I say as gospel, a lot of it may depend on your method which is no doubt quite different to mine as would be your taste in beers also.
My Galaxy Pale Ale is in the recipe database and I think the nicest beer that I've made, check it out. There was no need to dry hop it, the hop aroma came through nicely and the bitterness was balanced with the malt sweetness.
Final Volume was 25 litres
15g Galaxy @ 60 mins
15g Galaxy @ 20 mins
15g Galaxy @ 5 mins

There are plenty of recipes using Galaxy in the database to get others take on it's use as well.

That's gonna taste like LCPA with a twist of passionfruit pulp.

I wouldn't take what I say as gospel, a lot of it may depend on your method which is no doubt quite different to mine as would be your taste in beers also.
My Galaxy Pale Ale is in the recipe database and I think the nicest beer that I've made, check it out. There was no need to dry hop it, the hop aroma came through nicely and the bitterness was balanced with the malt sweetness.
Final Volume was 25 litres
15g Galaxy @ 60 mins
15g Galaxy @ 20 mins
15g Galaxy @ 5 mins

There are plenty of recipes using Galaxy in the database to get others take on it's use as well.

I went to the recipe data base , sort by extract

found your Galaxy pale ale and it uses Pride of ringwood

what am I missing

galaxy isn't in the database. Read the brewers notes below.

galaxy isn't in the database. Read the brewers notes below.

OK read the notes

but I am still lost

is there two recipes in one

what are the ingredients and the method

no grain , no pride

confusion :unsure:

When you put a recipe into the database you choose from a list of hops and Galaxy is not on there so I put POR in instead and adjusted the %AA. Just sub. the POR in the recipe for Galaxy.
Not sure what you mean by no grain.
Here's a thread where I posted the recipe,

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...ic=39758&hl=

I can help you with your method if you get stuck.

When you put a recipe into the database you choose from a list of hops and Galaxy is not on there so I put POR in instead and adjusted the %AA. Just sub. the POR in the recipe for Galaxy.
Not sure what you mean by no grain.
Here's a thread where I posted the recipe,

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...ic=39758&hl=

I can help you with your method if you get stuck.

It's all clear now

one more question , why would you add the dextrose at day 2 , give the yeast a chance to work with a lower sg wort ?

I see the reason when looking at the other post

and if so , do you add it directly to the fermenter and stir to dissolve

aerate whilst stirring ?

I assume the yeast is added at day one

I would be using dry yeast

In retrospect it probably would have been OK to put the dex in at the beginning with the rest of the ingredients unless it was a higher gravity wort. Less chance of infection and probably a similar end result. But the theory is there and it did finish nicely.
From memory I diluted the dex in a litre or so of water, boiled, cooled then added it to the fermenter and give it a gentle stir. Aeration was avoided.

Boagsy ,

I see you made your brew early Nov 2009

Assuming you put it into bottle it should be ready to sample

how did it go

Rod

This brew was very more-ish. So more-ish that it's all gone bar a tallie that I saved for aging. It probably would of even improved a little more but I cleaned up the last 10 Pint sized stubbies on Christmas day. Asolutely delicious and went down very easy, just wish I hadn't made a pig of myself on it and there was some left. I'm planning another soon maybe with slight variation for experimental purposes. I kept a few samples of the yeast cake to culture up.

Latest posts

Back