Galaxy Ale recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falcon250

Reaction score
G'day All,

I have put this recipe together with beersmith and am just wondering what else I can do with it, it consists of:

9 litre brew for corny keg
1 KG Light dry extract
300 G Dextrose
10G Galaxy for 60 mins
10G Galaxy for 15 mins
5G Galaxy for 5 mins
Dry hop with Pacific jade for 5 days
S05 yeast

Any opinions always appreciated as I'm fairly new to this extract style of brewing.

Cheers!

I would cut back to 30 min boil and go around 5g/5g/5g 30/20/10 (22ibu)?

and dry hop what ever you like.

To much Galaxy early can be a bit off putting to my palate. Any Galaxy brews I have done with smaller amounts and bittered to the 22 ibu have been nice. Get into them after 2 weeks conditioning.

Cheers

what does Beersmith says your opening gravity will be? Even thinking 9 litres, it looks like too little malt. Guessing 11litres of water needed if you are having a 60 min boil. With processed malt there is no need for a long boil anyway.

When I use Galaxy, I prefer not to give it a long boil. Strange things happen with Galaxy in the long boil. Best suited to late additions,to get the best of its flavours & aromas.

Fatgodzilla,

Beersmith estimated OG to be 1048 and estimated FG to be 1006, I think you might be right it does seem like not enough malt, Beersmith estimates alc % to be 5.5%.

I had a couple of cans of the Australia Brewery Pacific Pale Ale (Or similar) . I found it to be a passable quaffer and would buy again depending on price. My point is that it is a hopped with galaxy and has a lovely flavour and aroma. It is pretty mild on the IBUs to my palate which seems to support the hearsay that galaxy can be a bit overpowering in large amounts early in the boil. As I said it's hearsay so "large amounts" and "early" is something you'll have to quantify.

I have some galaxy and those few cans have influenced me enough to put a galaxy Pale Ale on my to-do list.

Someone said galaxy is like Simcoe. I get more resin / pine from Simcoe than the strong fruity aroma I notice in galaxy. Galaxy is more like Citra than Simcoe IMO.

I would drop the Dex to around 100g if I were to use it at all. If you feel you really want your beer to push the alcohol content to around 6% then you could sub your Dex with more LDM. However, I don't reckon you need any Dex at all in this case, or more malt even.

Assuming your Galaxy is about 13.4% AA then the recipe you posted has IBU of around 53.5 so I assume this is most likely more than you want.

Personally I would drop the Dextrose altogether and make all the Galaxy additions to only 5g instead of 10g which will give you about 28.1 IBU (using a 10L boil) and around 4.5% ABV (in the bottle)

I agree with the above posters about not pushing the IBUs with Galaxy. Much past the 40s and it gets nasty.

Maybe if you're a genius with water chemisty and cunning boil tricks you might be able to make a smooth Galaxy IIPA, but I can't.

Latest posts

Back